Aperture question

jessiecpt

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello all,

I just wrote a LONG post and it didnt post so this one is going to be short and sweet. I have a Sony A200 and in P,A,S an M I cannot get my aperture to go "lower" than 5 or 5.6. I can adjust everything else to whatever I want. Shutter and ISO are no problem. I do not have a manual because I bought it used but I am reading a field guide when claims that I should be able to adjust my aperture to whatever I want. I am using a 3.5-5.6/18-70 lens.
Thank you for any help you can give me!

The lens on your camera has a variable maximum aperture. It's only capable of f/3.5 when zoomed to the widest end. As you begin to zoom the focal length toward the longer end the aperture eventually max's out at f/5.6

Joe

Hello all,

I just wrote a LONG post and it didnt post so this one is going to be short and sweet. I have a Sony A200 and in P,A,S an M I cannot get my aperture to go "lower" than 5 or 5.6. I can adjust everything else to whatever I want. Shutter and ISO are no problem. I do not have a manual because I bought it used but I am reading a field guide when claims that I should be able to adjust my aperture to whatever I want. I am using a 3.5-5.6/18-70 lens.
Thank you for any help you can give me!

Zoom your lens out to 18mm and your maximum aperture will be f/3.5. If you zoom it in, it will be f/5.6.

Wow. Thank you both so much. This has been driving me insane all day!! This is my first DSLR camera and not having a manual is not fun. I study for at least two hours a day trying to get a grip on how everything works together. It's weird though because in A mode I can dial the aperture up to much higher than 5.6. It would seem that since I can't go below 3.5, it shouldn't let me how higher than 5.6? So confusing.

Might try a Google search for "Sony A-200 User Manual" and see what happens.

Wow. Thank you both so much. This has been driving me insane all day!! This is my first DSLR camera and not having a manual is not fun. I study for at least two hours a day trying to get a grip on how everything works together. It's weird though because in A mode I can dial the aperture up to much higher than 5.6. It would seem that since I can't go below 3.5, it shouldn't let me how higher than 5.6? So confusing.

F/3.5 - 5.6 is the MAXIMUM aperture allowable at the wide and narrow end of the zoom range. It has nothing to do with the MINIMUM aperture.

I've Got the Minolta lens mentioned above from ebay for £45 and love it.

Most reactions

Back