Aperture Setting in Manual Mode?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beaminge36

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey, there is probably a simple answer to this but is there a way to set the aperture when shooting in manual? I have a canon rebel xt and it seems to always keep it wide open when on M. Can anyone clear this up for me? Thanks

Nick

Hold the AV button and turn the dial to change the Aperture.

gotcha, haha. I knew it had to be something simple. Thanks

Nick

Here is a similar question I just posted:

"I've had my Canon G10 for many years, using it as a point and shoot. Recently I've decided to start getting acquainted with the potential the camera has (and why I originally bought it). In Av mode or Tv mode I can easily change the corresponding setting by simply turning the dial. When I am in Av mode, the aperture setting changes, and when in Tv mode the same dial on the left front changes the shutter speed. But when I use Manual, I can only seem to change the shutter speed with that mode. I can't figure out how to change the aperture setting in M mode. My manual has a lot of detailed advice on which settings to use, how to compose with them, etc., but doesn't say WHERE they are located, or HOW I change them on my camera. If anyone can help me – a relative newbie – I'd sure appreciate it."

Manual has been no help in telling me where the button/dial actually IS on my camera. If I am in M mode, on MY Canon G10, I can change the shutter speed but not the
aperture. If I move the dial to AV of course I am in Av mode. Which is not where I want to be. I do not understand "hold the AV button" while in M mode. Maybe my camera is different. help?

Manual has been no help in telling me where the button/dial actually IS on my camera. If I am in M mode, on MY Canon G10, I can change the shutter speed but not the aperture. If I move the dial to AV of course I am in Av mode. Which is not where I want to be. I do not understand "hold the AV button" while in M mode. Maybe my camera is different. help?

Kind of odd to bring back a thread that hasn't seen a reply in nearly 5 years to ask a question, that as you said, you already asked in another thread...

Does the manual not have a diagram of the front and back of the camera (probably somewhere near the front of the manual) with numbers connected to leaders saying what all of the buttons are?

edit
The "Av" button says "Av" right above it and has a "+/-" icon as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back