Aperture stuck wide open: Kalimar 80-200mm f3.9 FD mount

BigJason

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi, I have this Kalimar 80-200mm f3.9 FD mount lens and it's stuck wide open.

I have Canon FD lenses with which I have gotten the aperture ring to release and work with adapters (yes, I have done my research and watched a ton of YT videos lol), but that process is not working here.

So I'm wondering if anyone has experience with this lens and can give some direction? Thank you!

Photo of mount attached. With the Canon lenses I would push in the chrome pin and make sure the lever on the adapter was to the left of the aperture mover on the lens. That isn't working in this case. The aperture mover remains stuck part way along when the adapter is attached. The aperature blades do nothing.

I also see a tiny chrome pindot on the lens mount but have no idea what that does and haven't pushed it yet (not sure I have anything that small to push it with ;-) ) Stuck blades?

Kalimar-80-200-f3.9crop-1.jpg

From what I recall with some Canon mount lenses ... one pin is used to position the lens on the mounting ring (attached to the camera) ... then the second pin is depressed by the mounting ring to allow the breech lock ring to turn ... if the ring cannot turn fully then it does not allow the aperture to open fully.
So I suggest depressing the pin manually and turn the breech lock.

... hmm, that screw on the right does not look like it is native to the lens.

The question about the screw is a good point. I'll see if I can find some photos of other copies to compare.

I think I paid $10-20 off Etsy (never again; Etsy sellers take forever to ship) so it's no big deal if I can't get it to stop down. But it's a puzzle and I can't resist. I've had it about a year and keep looking at it again once in awhile to see if I've learned anything new or have a different perspective.

I don't see two pins here, unfortunately. The little chrome bit to the left of the top of the mount in the photo does not depress. Maybe it's a contact.

The aperture lever on the mount does move all the way and in fact locks on the counterclockwise-side but nothing happens to the blades. I can lock and unlock it with my finger.

Given the worth of this lens, chuck it and buy a replacement if you really like it.

I guess I have a different attitude towards things? I enjoy fixing things and getting them to work correctly. Optically it appears sound and I'd like to see how sharp it can get. I own many legacy lenses and this is the only one I haven't been able to get to work properly.

Incidentally, former fellow BC-er for 30-odd years!

At the 7:30 position in the image, I see two chrome items.
The one on the right looks like the positioning pin. The one on the left looks like the ring unlock pin.
Can you turn the breech lock ring without mounting the lens ?

At the 7:30 position in the image, I see two chrome items.
The one on the right looks like the positioning pin. The one on the left looks like the ring unlock pin.
Can you turn the breech lock ring without mounting the lens ?

The higher up one is a pin; the second one is a screw. There's also a black-painted screw beneath them.

If the pin has been depressed, then the breech lock ring spins slightly counterclockwise and then is free to turn. When I turn it fully clockwise it locks back up. The lever that normally stops down the aperture moves, locks and unlocks regardless of what position the breech lock ring is in.

I also see some damage, a couple small indentations, on the inside ring of the mount at around 9:00 on the image. Makes me think it has been dropped and repaired...and maybe just can't be used without further repair.

Having looked at a few listings on ebay, I can say the big screw is indeed native. Also, I saw an image where the tiny chrome pin around 11:00 was sticking out...it's slightly indented on mine and I don't know how to make it pop out.

And I appreciate you contributing with ideas and expertise!

Last edited:
I guess I have a different attitude towards things? I enjoy fixing things and getting them to work correctly. Optically it appears sound and I'd like to see how sharp it can get. I own many legacy lenses and this is the only one I haven't been able to get to work properly.

Incidentally, former fellow BC-er for 30-odd years!
Okay, fair enough. If you're doing it because you want to, that's an entirely different ball game. I can totally appreciate the desire to try and fix something 'because'! As for the mechanics... that I can't help you with.

It's been a while since I had a Canon mount lens ... so that's all I got.
Time to get the screw drivers out !!!

So this is quite interesting: I removed the mount discovered two levers inside by which I can open and close the aperture.

The mount has two bars that are supposed to extend down inside the barrel and hook up with these levers, one with a pin through a slot and the other as a push bar. I suppose I have to line them up correctly and screw the mount back on to make the assembly turn with the aperture ring.

Any advice on how to accomplish this most effectively? I suppose one or both bars from the mount must have gotten disconnected from their inside-the-barrel counterparts.

EDIT: I have tried putting it back together and gotten some results, meaning the aperture lever on the mount will work BUT the ring will not stop the aperture down and it won't quite fit properly on the adapter ring.

IMG_20180102_131530347.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back