Aperture Trouble

On the top of your camera, there is a little button that has a +/- on it. Hold it and then try your front and back dials and see if you can get it to go down to zero. I think it is the dial closest to you on my D70s, but it could be the one on the front of the camera. I don't use it often since I just change my metering to manual to make adjustments like that.

See if that helps.

hmm do have a play around with things with the manual beside (heck my manual was in my camera bag and with me for the first year of shooting). The manual contains quite a lot of info about working the camera so do consult it as often as you can. Also if you get in a bit of a mess with settings remember you can restor all the settings back to default - often that can solve a problem if you can't work out what you have done (though do try to work it out if you can).

Hopefully someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the camera will remember settings like that depending on which mode it's in. Meaning that the compensation might be set to -5 in Aperture Priority but 0 in Shutter Priority. I don't have my camera handy to verify this, but I know it will remember other settings by mode like aperture and shutter. Were you in Aperture Priority when you checked just now?

Like Lyncca said, it might have been a case of getting trigger happy. The button on top in combination with the wheel could have messed with the compensation when you were really meaning to change the aperture.

A good point Goontz - I don't know about your Nikon camera but I can say that such is not the case for my Canon 400D - the exposure compensation is fixed for all the modes it uses the feature in and is not tied to a shooting mode at all (shame really would be handy if it was).

Yea, the exposure compensation will stay in all modes except for AUTO and maybe Program. I never use either so I'm not sure about Program, but AUTO is full auto, so this would make sense from your examples above. Program let's you make certain adjustments, just not sure which ones.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back