Apeture size

Goldcoin79

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
If I am working out the size of the apeture do I use the actual focal length or the 35mm equivalent value eg for a 50mm focal length with an apeture set at f5 on a camera with a 1.6 crop factor is the calculation 50/5 or 1.6 X 50/5

The focal length of the lens is what's stamped on the barrel. A 50mm lens is a 50mm lens. The difference seen is in the Field of View (FoV), not the focal length.

Aperture has no bearing. Use the appropriate aperture for your shot / vision of the scene.

Use the actual focal length.

When you see the term f/4, the f = the focal length of the lens.

So a 50 mm lens, or zoom lens set to 50 mm, set to f/4 has a 12.5 mm diameter lens aperture (50 mm / 4 = 12.5 mm).
A 35 mm lens, or zoom lens set to 35 mm, set to f/4 has a 8.75 mm diameter lens aperture.

When considering Depth-Of-Field (DoF), then the image sensor crop factor does have a bearing, and online DoF calculators make you specify the crop factor in some way. Many just have you select the camera make/model you use.
Understanding Depth of Field in Photography

Thanks KmH that is the answer I was looking for. When you are talking about the dof calculator are you saying that they calculate the dof by using the crop factor to first calculate the 35mm equivelant?

No. With most calculators you use the actual focal length of the lens (and the marked aperture) and specify the format separately.

If you are doing a DoF comparison between formats for similar fields of view and distance then you can use the crop factor on both the focal length and the f-number. For example if the crop factor is 2, a 25 mm lens at f/2 on the crop camera is equivalent in FoV and DoF to a 50 mm lens at f/4 on a full frame 35 mm camera.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back