Appropriate Reflector Size

lisameowrie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
What reflector size would you use for pet photography? I just received some 36" x 48" ones and I believe they were TOO HUGE so I am sending them back!

Also, I am not sure where I would have posted this question so I hope I am posting this in the correct spot.

Thanks!

When it comes to modifiers, bigger is almost always better, but it depends what you want to do with it. If all you want is to be able to put a catchlight in Rover's eyes, a 24" round reflector is probably fine, but if you want fill light for the shadow side of a great dane... I have reflectors ranging from 12" all the way up to 42x60 panels. The other consideration will be supporting them. If you have an assistant, then keep the big 'uns... if you're a solo act, and have to rely on reflector stands, it gets tricky. In short, I wouldn't rush to send those back; that would be a VERY useful size, especially for larger pets.

What reflector size would you use for pet photography? I just received some 36" x 48" ones and I believe they were TOO HUGE so I am sending them back!
They might be too big to carry under your arm while walking any great distance, but if they didn't cost much, I'd keep them. What are they made of? If they are something you could trim, cut one in half if you need to carry them around. I've got some largish sheets of white foamcore that fit standing on edge behind the car seat. As tirediron has said, getting them to hold still, especially in the wind, will be a challenge.

Keep one thing in mind: square and rectangular reflectors have much more surface area than round reflectors have. Square and rectangular reflector panels work better than round ones when you need to rely on propping the panels on the floor or ground, or when you want to clip two together to make a large, free-standing V-flat type setup, or when you want to clip two together to create a "capital A" or "sandwich board" freestanding setup--one that requires NO lightstands, and NO grip arm or knuckle,etc.

The small, round, pop-open type reflectors are great if you have to carry them, but they require a stand, and an arm, in order to use on your own many times. Consider that square or rectangular, rigid PVC or aluminum framed reflectors might actually be easier to use in some situations. Until you've tried something in the 42 x 60 or bigger area, you've not fully explored what a BIG reflector can do...it eliminates the need for constant micro-adjustment, and the doggone thing will STAY where it's put pretty easily.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
For $42 and change that looks like a decent value these days. So, the stand has a dent in it...maybe you can ascertain how the dent got there, as a way to not allow that to happen in your normal, workday transport and storage of the setup. If the stand got dented by say, the arm's grip on the stand, then that's a thing to watch out for. On the other hand, if some forklift driver happened to spear the package while it was cling-wrapped to a pallet of packages being loaded into the belly of a jet aircraft, well...not something you would have to worry about. I think $42 for a reflector, carry bag, light stand, and an arm and a knuckle is a pretty good price....I know it's all Made in China stuff, but it looks decent, not ratty, and it's "factory", not DIY. But, as you've found out, it might not be all that rugged, so use care when transporting this type of gear.

In pet photography how often do you think I will be using the gold and the black? I only see myself using the silver and diffuser. Any idea?

Gold reflectors look best for B&W images, or when you need to bounce the light rays from the sun INTO shadowed areas that have a lot of cool, blue light. Indoors with flash or fluorescent or incandescent or quartz-halogen light, I would probably never use the gold, unless I needed a bit more specularity on human skin.

Silver? YES, for longer "throws". White? allllll the time, very often. Black side is for "subtractive light", and would be useful at times, in order to make light drop off in intensity more-rapidly. Again, for something like subtractive lighting a BIG black panel is going to work more effectively than a smaller panel will.

The thing is, to really get the most out of a subtractive panel, it needs to be quite large in relation, in comparison to, the subject OR it needs to be placed ridiculously close to the subject. I'd say think of a panel 3x the physical size of the subject if the panel is 4 to 5 feet away...

A good portion of these small, compact fabric reflectors are designed to make sales, and I think you'll find that working alone, the real benefits are going to come from using bigger, 42x42 or 42x60 or 42x72 panels that are actually big enough to make real, major differences in what needs to be done to the light, and they will allow you to do the job without the need to continually micro-manage a very small reflector that really does not have the sheer size to handle a shooting area that might be say 5x5 foot wide. I would say: make your OWN panels. No need for gold.

I've decided to just do an exchange for the exact same product. These are a great value for all that I received, but I am not going to accept a damaged product that I paid for. I've been wrecking my brain all day today wondering if a)I should get smaller reflectors since they're easier to transport and round ones are better for the eyes of the animal vs. b) larger ones like I have now to fill in the light plus they're better for propping up again something. I really don't want to have to bother with the trouble of setting it up on the stand. There's too many options out there and I am so indecisive, but I appreciate all of your help!

Good idea to just have the one you bought replaced. Again, for $42 and change, those are a good deal.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back