What's new

Arboretum Flowers

Nice but too centered. They're isolated with a nice bokeh, nice exposure and focus, but the composition could be improved a lot in my opinion. #3 is the best for me!
 
#3 is definitely my favorite, as well. I see what you mean about them being centered, but is it really that much of an improvement to use the rule of thirds on a photo of a specific subject?
 
First impressions: - thanks for numbering your images.

1) Would be nice if the entire flower was in focus. This image lends itself to a "rule of thirds" treatment by moving it to the right in the image and having some negative space on the left. The centre of that flower looks like it would be a good candidate for some macro imaging.

2) and 3) These are both nice images and the bokeh is quite good. They are, in my opinion, best centred as they are both fairly symmetrical and there is nothing to be gained from a composition point of view by invoking the rule of thirds for these.
_____________
WesternGuy
 
Not only talking about RoT... taking the subject off the center is not only about having it in a more eye-comforting place. When you take your subject off the center, you're creating something... Not really sure how to put it into words really... Anyone seriously writing about composition, will probably start by describing this concept.
 
Not only talking about RoT... taking the subject off the center is not only about having it in a more eye-comforting place. When you take your subject off the center, you're creating something... Not really sure how to put it into words really... Anyone seriously writing about composition, will probably start by describing this concept.

Agree - #3 is already a little off-center vertically. Cropping a little on the bottom would make it more about the contrast between the flower and the dark OOF shapes in the background.
 
Thanks for the comments. I think number 1 is the best candidate for RoTs for sure. The flower pointing to the left draws the eye to the left, which end abruptly as I have it. I definitely agree with the focus comment, westernguy. I hadn't really noticed it before, but now I see :)

I can't decide on number 3. I see the point about giving some more space up top, but I think that would diminish the stature of the flower...
 
Flowers 1 and 2 are Hardy Geraniums. #2 looks like 'Pink Pillows':lol: #3 is actually a bulb. Some sort of Allium (ornamental onion).
 
I like the lighting in all three pictures, as each seems just a little different from the other two. Pic 1 is back lighted, and really works. Picture 2 has nice soft diffused light. Picture 3 lighting is contrasty, but works for me. As just about everyone has stated, you really need to work on your compositions. As it stands now, each flower ends up dead center in their respective pictures.
 
Thanks for the additional comments. I'll try to remember to use the rule of thirds more in the future. And thank you digital flower for enlightening me as to what they are!

So with picture #3...the center of the flower appears to me to be only slightly above the 1/3 mark vertically. Which part of the flower should I gauge the RoT on? The center of the flower (just lower it a little), or some other part?
 
It's not just which part of the flower, it's the whole flower in relation to the rest of the composition. Here's few examples where the flower is offset to the left, but centered vertically.

$Reliable Fence_04.webp

$452012_157.webp
 
Centering could have been avoided; otherwise lovely cool colors; liked them :D
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom