Hi Linda!
"that might not be the look you were after at all"
Exactly.
Creative exposure.
My big gripe is that the chandaliers are blown.
If you compare #1 to #2, you can see in #2 that it is brighter, but also that the light on the left behind the pipes is starting to blow, as are the pipes on the right and the stained glass. I think would have been a great HDR subject though. What gets me, what excites me about the image (#2) is that there is so much subtle detail in the pipes...all the curvy wavy lines the gold leaf makes. The strong verticals, the balance of the horizontals. The framing of the Rose window. The arch, that has (enough) detail to catch you, but helps lead you back. My favorite thing is the falloff around that arch. I think it's sexy.
But having said all that, I am buying a flash, and will experiment that way, but I love dark. I love the feeling darkness gives. I'll probably use a flash to highlight the dark
Samanax, my tripod has a center pole that is a monopod

I just have to carry my crap with me. I even bought a back pack, that has straps on the bottom to attach the tripod :meh:. I hate carrying stuff, I tend to put all me lenses in my cargo shorts pockets, and I just have to stop that, and stop being so stubborn.
smn_xps, I don't think you mean foreshortening. I think it's barrel distortion. I shot this from the balcony.
If anyone wants to debate perfect exposure vs. creative exposure, I am game. :mrgreen:
Well...off to photography club!