What's new

Are 3rd party lenses as good as their Canon counterparts?

To the OP, who might have needed to be pointed to some research sites that actually compare one lens against the other, in extensive detail and with photos, if there is a particular lens you are looking at, go to the sites that stack them up. Not sure what you can or can't say here but google the lens you are looking at and add the work review after it. The site(s) should pop up.

I have all Canon lenses but for one Sigma that is a very good lens. In fact it tested equal to/better than its Canon counterpart.
 
SIGH...

Ker... you are extrapolating my argument incorrectly and not reading all of what I said. Pretty much what NikonJosh said... though without the implied snark and sarcasm.

Let me try a different word. Let's use "statistically".

What I'm saying is if you grab a Nikon/Canon lens randomly and you grab a Sigma/Tokina/whatever lens randomly, the statistical odds are that the Nikon/Canon lens is going to be a better lens. I didn't use this term before because this honestly has a lot to do with how many lenses each manufacturer has... and I'm not about to go count... and anyone who understands statistics will be all over me for it... but perhaps it is a better way to think about the "problem" that might click differently for you.

Am I saying that you should always buy Nikon/Canon? No, not even close.

Am I saying that you should ever purchase a lens without first understanding your purchase and researching? No freakin' way.

Am I saying all Nikon/Canon lenses are great and all Sigma lenses are crap? Nothing even close to that.

In fact, I have said much to the contrary... repeatedly... but you're not getting that. It's been pretty clear, but you're still just hearing me say "Sigma sucks", which I have never once said.

Again, you will recall I personaly own a couple Sigmas. I'm presently investigating the Sigma 150mm 2.8 macro. Obviously I must think Sigma makes some decent lenses, because I have the money to buy Nikon every damn time if that's what I want to do... and yet I don't. As i said... I drive a Volkswagen... not a BMW.
 
Both OEM and third party lenses are better when you add a few slices of bacon.
 
:lol:
 
This has turned into an E-fight. Who will the winner be?! Oh, right. Nobody. At least the OP got what he came for before it got too off-topic.
 
SIGH...

Ker... you are extrapolating my argument incorrectly and not reading all of what I said. Pretty much what NikonJosh said... though without the implied snark and sarcasm.

Let me try a different word. Let's use "statistically".

What I'm saying is if you grab a Nikon/Canon lens randomly and you grab a Sigma/Tokina/whatever lens randomly, the statistical odds are that the Nikon/Canon lens is going to be a better lens. I didn't use this term before because this honestly has a lot to do with how many lenses each manufacturer has... and I'm not about to go count... and anyone who understands statistics will be all over me for it... but perhaps it is a better way to think about the "problem" that might click differently for you.

Am I saying that you should always buy Nikon/Canon? No, not even close.

Am I saying that you should ever purchase a lens without first understanding your purchase and researching? No freakin' way.

Am I saying all Nikon/Canon lenses are great and all Sigma lenses are crap? Nothing even close to that.

In fact, I have said much to the contrary... repeatedly... but you're not getting that. It's been pretty clear, but you're still just hearing me say "Sigma sucks", which I have never once said.

Again, you will recall I personaly own a couple Sigmas. I'm presently investigating the Sigma 150mm 2.8 macro. Obviously I must think Sigma makes some decent lenses, because I have the money to buy Nikon every damn time if that's what I want to do... and yet I don't. As i said... I drive a Volkswagen... not a BMW.

Fair enough. The only reason I bothered with this back and forth is that some of these posts came across as, "If it says Canon/Nikon on it, it has to be good". I don't care if somebody doesn't want to go through the research to cherry pick the best of the third party manufacturers, but to imply that everything from Canon/Nikon is the cat's meow is a bit misleading.

Sounds like everybody seems to be pretty much on the same page now.
 
Like many stupid internet arguments, everyone likely always was. :)
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom