are antique cameras still practical for regular use?

scyzoryk_o4

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
http://cgi.ebay.ca/ZENIT-12XP-Relia...093487803QQcategoryZ15241QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I was searching my house when i came across my parents old zenit 12x camera... Instantly I fell in love with it. The feel and just about every thing about it just feels solid. Now my question is even though its an old camera it will still take just as good pictures as lets say a newer nikon or cannon right? I mean the 35mm senser will still produce just as good quality pictures right?
My second question is...im still just learning to play around with aperature and shuter speed to get right exposure. Now if I bring my digital camera and just use the automatic modes as a guide, can I apply those shutter speeds and aperature settings to the zenit?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Old cameras can take good pictures by all means. They won't be of the Nikon/Canon quality but they will be decent.

Using your digital camera for aperture/shutter speed combinations as a guidance should work, provided you have the same ASA (ISO) in both. But for better results use a hand held meter.

My first SLR was a Zenit B.

I don't know what a Zenit 12X is but antique cameras are perfectly practical as long as film is still available for them. Some films for older cameras is either impossible or difficult to find.

Gracious, if the link you provided is an exact replica of the camera your parents have, I don't even consider that an *antique*. :lol: If it's clean and operates smoothly, shutter is firing at all speeds, etc., then drop some 35mm film in that bad boy and try a test roll. You may have a new best friend! ;)

Some of the reeeeally old cameras that I consider *antique* are from the 1920's and '30's, and the main problem with some of them are slow shutter speeds, often only up to 1/50, pretty much requiring constant tripod use. This camera appears to go up to 1/500, so I can't imagine you'd have much trouble with it. Looks great!

Check out this *antique*, a Kodak #1 pocket - it still takes pictures with 120 film, and they have a lovely soft vignetted edge. :)

584-Kodak1pocket.jpg

haha, well it's an antique for to me...Ya thats deffinetly some encouraging news. I cant wait to get some film now and test the beast out!!

How old does a camera have to be before considered an antique ? I kind of figured that my F and F2's were just getting broken in at 30+ years old ;)

Isn't the general rule of thumb that anything is considered an antique at 100+ years old? It's only vintage if it's younger than that. That's why I get so annoyed at Craigslist...people advertise 'antique' sofa's from the 70's. :roll:

Isn't the general rule of thumb that anything is considered an antique at 100+ years old? It's only vintage if it's younger than that. That's why I get so annoyed at Craigslist...people advertise 'antique' sofa's from the 70's. :roll:

That depends... A car can be 30+ years old and considered antique or historical. A camera as well, especially if it was produced in small numbers. The very first digital camera can actually be called an antique due to its historical value. Furniture can be called 'antique' even after a few years though, even if it's not an 'antique' per se. What I think they meant on Craig's List is that the sofa was antiquated (read 'out of fashion').

I have a 1956 Argus C-44 and it still takes excellent pictures. I am looking forward to trying slide film with it, too. I remember my grandfather and father using that style of camera and I still have the slides. The projectors are cheap on Ebay. I also have a Cannon 400D digital camera, so I am not really old fashioned, but can appreciate the old and the new.

That depends... A car can be 30+ years old and considered antique or historical. A camera as well, especially if it was produced in small numbers. The very first digital camera can actually be called an antique due to its historical value. Furniture can be called 'antique' even after a few years though, even if it's not an 'antique' per se. What I think they meant on Craig's List is that the sofa was antiquated (read 'out of fashion').

right
I would just say: antique is when "old" is a value, and not "how old"

...well, or probably my english is just not as reliable as I hope...

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ZENIT-12XP-Relia...093487803QQcategoryZ15241QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I was searching my house when i came across my parents old zenit 12x camera... Instantly I fell in love with it. The feel and just about every thing about it just feels solid. Now my question is even though its an old camera it will still take just as good pictures as lets say a newer nikon or cannon right? I mean the 35mm senser will still produce just as good quality pictures right?
My second question is...im still just learning to play around with aperature and shuter speed to get right exposure. Now if I bring my digital camera and just use the automatic modes as a guide, can I apply those shutter speeds and aperature settings to the zenit?

Hey Scyzoryk, If it still works, Use It! You may need to check the light seals.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I have a 1950 Argus C3 that takes fantastic photos. So yes, old cameras do still take great photos.

A lot of those russian lenses are old zeiss designs and work pretty well. Ya might want to look for some old takumars from pentax

Most reactions

New Topics

Back