Are boxes that good.

480sparky said:
Buying and selling photo gear is a lot like buying and selling guns. Jez saying.

Lol so I think you can tell I do not own any guns. Thanks for input Mr. Sparkle, camera boxes are good boxes.

I keep most of my boxes, but I should probably toss them out and use the space they take up in my office closet.

That being said, I have a collection of old cameras (not ancient, just old) and many of them do have original packaging, which makes them a more interesting collectable item, and likely increases their potential sale price.

Ektralite-02.jpg

SX-70Sonar.jpg

YashicaEZ-maticset.jpg

Flashfun.jpg

MG-02.jpg

MG-04.jpg

CoolCam-01.jpg

Last edited:
The snazzy pink Polaroid. The Cool Cam wouldn't be nearly as cool if it didn't have the matching bag.

I tend to hoard up boxes for things as much as I can and also hold onto most of the purchase details, cards, box contents.

As for why it increases sale price, first up people like to think that they are getting everything and that they are not missing out on any parts. When used good camera gear can oft be very near to new prices they like to think that there isn't anything they are missing; even if it has no effect on them directly.
Secondly holding onto these items tends to show that the person gives good care and concern to what they own; someone that holds onto the boxes and such in good condition is more likely to have also looked after the item well.
Then you've got the fact that its a bit like a confirmation that you do actually own the item for sale and that it didn't get stolen - when combined with date info (eg serial number) its even more proof

Date codes are also a big thing for some (over on POTN forums very big it seems); again for something like a lens its highly unlikely to affect anything what year it was made - however it is something (like all serial codes) people like to check against registrars to make sure its not stolen.

I keep boxes that electronics, cameras, guns, etc come in. Initially, it's just to have them handy in case there is an issue... but once they are stacked up on a shelf in a closet, they tend to stick around. It is nice to have them when it comes time to sell. Items seem to get more attention if they come with their original box, manual, packing, etc.

Overread said:
I tend to hoard up boxes for things as much as I can and also hold onto most of the purchase details, cards, box contents.

As for why it increases sale price, first up people like to think that they are getting everything and that they are not missing out on any parts. When used good camera gear can oft be very near to new prices they like to think that there isn't anything they are missing; even if it has no effect on them directly.
Secondly holding onto these items tends to show that the person gives good care and concern to what they own; someone that holds onto the boxes and such in good condition is more likely to have also looked after the item well.
Then you've got the fact that its a bit like a confirmation that you do actually own the item for sale and that it didn't get stolen - when combined with date info (eg serial number) its even more proof

Date codes are also a big thing for some (over on POTN forums very big it seems); again for something like a lens its highly unlikely to affect anything what year it was made - however it is something (like all serial codes) people like to check against registrars to make sure its not stolen.

That my friend makes sense lol, fortunately enough the warranty waspaid with a credit card and BestBuy has that information this was purchased at this date with this lens, but yeah next time keep the box!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back