Are camera phones as good as digital cameras?

JasonDNeel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
NO, because Camera phones do not have a big sensor and resolution as digital camera.
"The Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra has some cameras that mean serious business. The main camera has an unprecedented 108MP camera, which earns it a spot amongst the phone cameras with the highest number of megapixels"

That's pretty reasonable for a phone! Granted a phone and a DSLR can't compete on many levels but still

Lez325

Wildlife Photographer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Depends what you are trying to accomplish. If you don't plan on printing your work and just taking general snapshots down the street you may not notice the difference if viewing on your monitor, if lighting is good in both scenes. Phones take great pics when you have the correct lighting. If you make a living shooting wildlife, product photography, sports, or need large prints for a client, camera phones will not cut it.
Nail on the head 100%

SpenserEller

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
A while back I decided to do a comparison between my Olympus EM5 Mk ii and my Galaxy S20 Ultra. I took similar pictures under the same lighting. The first image is from the Olympus. the second is from the Galaxy using the 108MP setting. The pictures below have not been edited. In my opinion, the quality of the Olympus is considerably better.

OMD EM5 Mk ii
P2234867.jpg

Samsung Galaxy S20 Ultra
20210223_145142.jpg

mrca

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
Convenience, easy to carry, always have it with you adequate for on line photos, yes, low light, shallow depth of field, control of exposure, No. If you want to ape what is in front of you, yes, but your creative control is diminished.

Most reactions