Are meme pics against the rules?

I seem to remember that one member was temporarily suspended (temp Ban) for posting a MEME once... (although there may have been other reasons)...
Yes, the temporary suspension was for other reasons, not the posting of a meme.

I've seen the restrictions on this site and think the rules should be changed.
Many don't understand that there are legal reasons (federal copyright law) for the rule. Online Copyright Infringement Liability Limitation Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Most photography forums have the same rule, for the same reasons.

From what I understand, a meme falls under the parody exemption.

I believe that many memes do not violate copyright and fall under fair use, either as parody or as transformation - and in some cases, such as a single frame taken from a television program that could not be reasonably representative of any given episode, especially so.

Memes are, by nature, transformative, but not all images virally posted on the internet fit the anthropological and linguistic definitions of a "meme" either, or may not be as effective. When a meme fails as a meme, there is room for question if it is 'transformative enough' to be considered fair use.

So, I do understand though why TPF must have a policy about memes, as it would force KMH to evaluated every single posting and determine if it passes the fair use test, which is more of a "fair use guess" even for the courts (at what point is a meme 'transformative enough' to communicate social ideas rather than ideas about the copied work). But this is also why moderators have a lot of discretion.

Last edited:
Another thing I am not 100% sure of is what the law says about copying derivative work. Is it illegal for a third person to copy (without modification) a work that was illegally derived from a copyrighted work?

The laws involving derivative work does differ from simple duplication.

Completely agree.

Many memes would not be considered a copyright violation for many of the reasons stated above.

Maybe moderation could compile a pre-approved list. There are hundreds. There are apps out there.

**first world problems meme**

WANT TO POST MEMES ON TPF
---
CANT FOR FEAR OF REPRIMAND AND DAMNATION

░░░░▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄

░░░░█░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░░▀▀▄
░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░▒▒▒░░█
░░█░░░░░░▄██▀▄▄░░░░░▄▄▄░░░█
░▀▒▄▄▄▒░█▀▀▀▀▄▄█░░░██▄▄█░░░█
█▒█▒▄░▀▄▄▄▀░░░░░░░░█░░░▒▒▒▒▒█
█▒█░█▀▄▄░░░░░█▀░░░░▀▄░░▄▀▀▀▄▒█
░█▀▄░█▄░█▀▄▄░▀░▀▀░▄▄▀░░░░█░░█
░░█░░▀▄▀█▄▄░█▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▀▀█▀██░█
░░░█░░██░░▀█▄▄▄█▄▄█▄████░█
░░░░█░░░▀▀▄░█░░░█░███████░█
░░░░░▀▄░░░▀▀▄▄▄█▄█▄█▄█▄▀░░█
░░░░░░░▀▄▄░▒▒▒▒░░░░░░░░░░█
░░░░░░░░░░▀▀▄▄░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒░█
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░█

meme2Y.jpg

How've you been, Bitter?

Sweet, I got Bitter to post in one of my threads. Welcome back.

Make your own meme with your own pics.

Not the same.

They are insanely popular for a reason. Because they are good, recognizable, usually embody some sort of message that is universally understood, and have been propagated to the point of their own immortality.

So if its so easy to "make your own", I'll take three by this afternoon, if you wouldn't mind. ;)

No problem, that will be $2000. Each :)

The only image of any kind I'd pay $2000 for was taken with a Nikon Coolpix at night in a living room.. can't see myself ever paying that kind of money for anything done on a camera by anyone... with that one exception.

But I already have it. :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back