Are Sony a5100 and Sony a7III the same?

Miroslava Kotekova

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am wondering in good daylight in auto mode will the Sony a5100 do the same or very similar photos then Sony a7III, or Sony a6500? Just wondering if few thousands $ will make the image quality so much better? Or is the price higher just because the camera has some extras, as wifi, better stabilazition, it is faster, focus better and so on. I always use auto mode with the basic kit and shoot through day so wondering if buying the more expensive camera in this situations will make really much better photos. Thanks!

Last edited:
They are different types of camera. What is it that you are not happy with about your current photographs? Spending thousands of $$ will not make your pictures better.

Hi and welcome to the forum!
When talking about a few thousands $, you are sure talking about the a7III, right? The a7 can be had for 800 $ by now.
From an image quality point of view, the a7 and a6500 will be better. A7 will be best. Are you going to do some post processing on your images? If so, the a7 will have the least noise (especially in the shadow areas if you brighten them). Also the a7III and the a6500 have much faster focus. So if you are going to photograph moving subjects, you will create better images with those two in this regard.
Also: I own several alpha bodies, and I need to say that the a7III is better color wise than e.g. the a7RII - so again this would deliver better images.
Many photographers will say that the photographer takes good pics, not the camera, which is true in many regards. But I just returned from a trip to the mountains and having different cameras with me, some do definitely deliver better results than others.

In good light shooting a stationary subject, comparing the a5100 to an a6500 should look very similar since they both share the same sensor and processor. The a6500 has features that make it easier to take good shots in challenging light and or situations like moving subjects. The A7III has a larger sensor and more pixels which translates to higher quality larger prints and can take good shots in even more challenging light and or situations. If all one does is shoot stationary subjects in good light and look at them on a laptop or tablet, this extra quality is pretty much wasted. "There is no point in buying a bulldozer when a hand shovel will do."

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back