Are the cameras and lens I buy online are really brand new?

julianliu

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.cornerstoneimage.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was just wondering will the camera and lens I buy from major online camera store like B&H Adorama Amazon etc. be brand new? I was concerned because they allow free returns within 30 days if you change your mind and keep everything the same. So do they sell these returns as brand new items or used items? I often see some camera and lens "Reviewers" on YouTube buy several of expensive lens and then send them back after test! I understand the return policy attracts more people to pull the trigger and buy the camera or the lens while thinking they can always return it in case not liking it. But I loathe these reviewers who buy and return the stuff after the test since they already knew they are gonna them even before they buy. I do not want any of them touch my camera or lens if I happen to get one of these returned "new" items (If that's the case I mentioned above that the store sell non issue returns as brand new).

Usually, returns are checked over and sold as 'refurbished'. They may sell a returned item and list it as such. Some stores merely sell off all their returned items to a 3rd party and then they become someone else's problem.

The big-box stores are very reliable when it comes to selling you a new camera/lens and you get a new camera/lens.

^^^ like he said.

You mentioned Amazon, which could be the aforementioned online stores or a variety of other miscellaneous camera stores, discount stores, surplus stores, individuals, etc. Those non-camera specific stores you could be a bit more worried about it being brand new & never opened., or gray market.

Those returned items are usually resold as "open box" or "used." Some get refurb'd by the manufacturer if needed. No reputable seller, B&H, Adorama, Cameraland, etc, would sell a used/returned item as new.

I buy from B and H for 15 years and never had a problem so i don’t know what Rob 5589 statement was in terms of reliability of B&H.
If B and H is not reliable who is?

I buy from B and H for 15 years and never had a problem so i don’t know what Rob 5589 statement was in terms of reliability of B&H.
If B and H is not reliable who is?

Does this help?

No reputable seller (such as B&H, Adorama, Cameraland, etc,) would sell a used/returned item as new.

My apology, I misread

Good to hear the answers!

But if I buy from Amazon directly, not from other sellers on amazon then I can be guaranteed brand new item I assume ?

But if I buy from Amazon directly, not from other sellers on amazon then I can be guaranteed brand new item I assume ?

Yes. Amazon has some of the best customer service in the business, so if you suspect it's not, or you can't register your product because it doesn't show as new via the manufacturer, they will replace it. I have never once had a problem with Amazon and I've bought computers, TVs, cameras, etc.

I think the biggest advantage buying "Amazon fulfilled" is that Amazon has a proven track record of easy returns, and excellent customer service.

The other sellers also have to meet Amazon's minimum standard qualifications to be listed there. I have never been hurt either by Amazon or by other sellers when purchasing directly.

Just make sure your Amazon or Amazon fulfilled camera/lens carries a valid warranty honored by the US-based company(Nikon, Canon, etc.) A significantly lower price than B&H et al. could mean gray market goods with no USA warranty coverage-- a true false economy.

Returns/display model usually aren't resold as "new," but are (as mentioned above) sold as "open box" or "demo" at a discount. Major retailers don't mix 'em up.

I bought a NEX-6 from Amazon, it was sold by a dealer and fulfilled by Amazon. It was a "Prime" item. It was absolutely perfect, however, the packaging looked a little "loose" and there was a fingerprint on rear display, instead of the protective film that I expected. I used to the camera for two weeks and returned it and bought a used E-M5 instead.

If it is not brand new, just talk to them and they will do something or you can simply return it with prepay shipping label.

We know we can return it if the item is not new.
It's easy to tell whether it's new or not for a camera since you can check the shutter count. How about a lens? It's packed in a way that you have no idea whether it's slightly used or not.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back