The questions about the buildings and the finished product are questions you can only answer yourself. I strongly advise developing your own judgement and tastes to avoid conflict when you start finding out no one understands what you are trying to express and there is no general consensus of good or bad- Only indifference.
That being said, if I were to have shot this photo, I would go with an 8x10 (or square) crop from just to the right of the saguaro, limiting the cloning that would have to be done to satisfy my personal tastes. I try to keep out man made "features"/civilization unless it is clearly historical.
Of the variations I find all but the first attractive. You are the artist, you show me which best reflects what you saw or felt when you shot the photo. Fine work. A beautiful shot.
I wasn't there, but possibly depending on what was going on behind the cactus, the homes could have been blocked out by stepping forward and to the right a few steps and aiming a bit to the left?
Very impressive.