Are there more "advanced" camera features? (BBF, etc)

Carny

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just learned yesterday about back button focus and a way to quickly change the AF point, are there any other "tricks" the pros use that most noobs don't know about?

Not shooting at the widest aperture. :p

1) Use a tripod when at all possible
2) Think before you shoot, set up the shot and visualize in your mind
3) Dont rush, take your time

I know, I know, theses have nothing to do with the camera settings, but people overlook these tips!

As far as camera tricks like you mentioned? Do a google search on your model, there are lots of good sites that have tips and tricks specific to your model.

Bumping up the ISO and/or using a flash when it will yield more satisfactory results. A lot of these are really basic concepts that seem to be difficult for new photographers (including myself several years ago) to grasp and utilize.

There are probably hundreds of little tricks. What they are and to list them would take days of thinking about the things we've all learned over the years. You can't learn the tricks by a list like that. It's a matter of learning little things as you are working on different aspects.

Are there more "advanced" camera features? (BBF, etc)
Yes!

But they tend to be on more advanced cameras.

For instance, IIRC your XSi does not have a DoF preview function.

My Nikon D300 and D3 had 51 auto focus points and 3D-Tracking. 15 of the 51 auto focus points were cross-type auto focus points.

Looking at the specs for the XSi none of the 9 AF points it has are cross-type AF points.

All of Nikon's DSLR cameras have had a color-aware metering system for several years now. Canon has only recently introduced a color-aware metering system and is adding it with each new camera model release.

XSi does have a DOF preview button (in the usual place on Canon DSRLs).

I actually have a T2i.

I know a list of everything would be exhausting, I just thought maybe there were a few that were often overlooked but common across most platforms, not necessarily model specific.

What camera do you have? Many pro models have setting without going into the menu

If it's in the manual, I wouldn't really consider it a trick. And back button focus is definitely in the manual. Just read the manual and you'll learn plenty of more "tricks".

Not shooting at the widest aperture. :p

Though I know what your getting at (just because your lens has F 1.8, doesn't me you have to use it all the time), this is not always the case.

I actually have a T2i.

I know a list of everything would be exhausting, I just thought maybe there were a few that were often overlooked but common across most platforms, not necessarily model specific.
Thank you for updating your profile.

I guess I didn't recall correctly about the DoF preview on the XSi.

I've still yet to really bother using the depth of field preview button - its located in a terrible position miles away from where you have any fingers when holding the camera (esp if you are using anything longer than around 50mm).

As for other features, a lot of "tricks" are not necessarily specific to photography, but specific to genres of photography. At least you'll find it a lot easier to search and ask for advice when you have a situation to shoot in. For example shooting studio people will use different features and work out different tricks as opposed to if they are shooting wildilfe or journalism.

As for adding more ideas to try out - make use of the camera's built in Histogram when reviewing photos. For checking the exposure its not only invaluable but also a very powerful tool for making sure you've not over or under exposed and also for showing you where in a photo it is overexposed via the blinking spots on the review - no problem if its blown a tiny highlight with no detail; but major problems if its blown more detailed and important areas.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back