Are these BORING ??

Calift

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
While I love taking pictures, I would never call myself a photographer.... but I need constructive criticism so don't hold anything back!

I'm entering a few B&W photos in the fair. I might use the ones below. But I don't really LOVE them, in fact I think they are kind of boring. I can definitely now see the challenges of a good black and white shot - that has depth and is captivating.

Please help! :)

$BW%u00252520Ben.jpg

$BW%u00252520jets.jpg

$Ottawa_4198.JPG

$BW%u00252520Any%2520Other.jpg

yes, they are boring. you seem to have an inherent sense of it already. use that to your advantage in the future and when you are shooting. i won't say it is the subject material you have presented. i believe any subject has potential to be a great shot, even if it is a subject often done before.

so go with that feeling and keep shooting. go for out of the box, and go for emotion. best of luck.

The first and third are kind of boring. The first is the typical shot of the dog that everyone has. The third is a bit more interesting because of the subject, but they are centered and not using any creative composition. Sometimes that is good!! These aren't bad by any means. If it must be a centered shot these are great and sometimes it must be.
The second and last one, however have some additional elements as well as the basics of good composition. You have simplify-no distractions in the image. The Rule of Thirds-your subject isn't placed dead center and the negative space has meaning in the image. Leading lines-the trail from the planes and the birds themselves lead your eye through the image. The birds also have a bit of an S curve as the leading line. These are great images for someone who is teaching basic composition!

Thanks Raphael! I'm imaging others thinking, "Yes your photos suck ... but at least you notice it too!" LOL I do appreciate all comments ... wouldn't be as satisfying if it were too easy. ;)

Alright .... well my instinct tells me a good B&W looks something more like this. I better shot would be more focus on the birds rocks and less ocean - but for think that would require a new lens.

$BW%u00252520Birds%2520on%2520Beach.jpg

Thanks MLeeK.

I will try to stay away from pet shots .... I can't critique my own dog's photos - I see my beloved pet, instead of the composition, lighting, etc. ;)

Will keep all your remarks in mind too :)

MJHoward - I can see what you mean! I will work on tweaking the crop of that photo. I have a few others of the same thing too at different angles. Perhaps a better view would improve it?

2nd and 4th ones are quite good, bordering on excellent. Strongly graphical. The dog is just a dog. The capital building (that is what that is, I think?) is pretty dull. In both of them we're looking for details which you have blown out in the highlights (see the flat patchy areas of white fur and white cloud?) Blowing out highlights isn't the mighty sin some people suggest it is, but in photographs where the details are what there is to look at, you'd like to keep them. There's basically no drama in either photograph, it's just an object of a familiar type sitting in the middle of the frame, surrounded by nothing much of interest. Get in closer, or get farther away and find some interesting context, or find a more dramatic angle of view? Find some dramatic light?

Any better?

(first one cropped)
$BW%u00252520jets.jpg

This one could be titled "Proof you need more than just the rule of thirds" lol
$BW%u00252520Jets3.jpg

$BW%u00252520Jets%25202.jpg

I think of all of them the original posting, 2 and 4 are the best, IMO, I think 4 is quite good, I like the comp and I like the fact that the birds are all at dif stages of flapping their wings it's almost as if it's the same bird in time-lapse, it brings that to my mind.

They must be better than mine, you have had 7 views 6 replies but then i am a bit of an arse

I know that feeling, I had 60 and zero...wait...I'm no arse...or am I?

Whether a subject is "boring" is not the fault of the photographer, but the audience. The artist's job is to project his or her world, it is our job to appreciate it. We can't always succeed in this, sometimes we just won't "get it". But it's never the artist's fault if we don't.

If you think they are boring, that's another matter entirely. Certainly you didn't take the photo because you thought they were boring, so that leaves two possibilities: you were chasing someone else's vision (emulation, cliche) or you failed at capturing that which interested you.

Last edited:
I like #2 and #3 of the original posted ones. I'd say 3 is the best for subject matter.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back