are these cameras any good??

longjon75

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
ive just been looking in a photography shop near to where i live and they had these 3 cameras second hand has anybody got one of these or had one and are they still ok or outdated now ??

1.Nikon F70

2.Nikon D70

3.Canon EOS 350D

thanks

You're mixing film and digital. The Nikon F70 is/was a film camera. The other two are digital and they're both pretty outdated at this point with the D70 being the newer.

I'm not sure how serious you are about photography but if you don't need a DSLR, a bridge camera might be the way to go. From what I hear/read Nikon P500 is pretty good.

ph0enix said:
You're mixing film and digital. The Nikon F70 is/was a film camera. The other two are digital and they're both pretty outdated at this point with the D70 being the newer.

When I'm shooting what should I have my image quality on? Should I always have it on raw

ph0enix said:

When I'm shooting what should I have my image quality on? Should I always have it on raw

In case you're serious: if you're just starting out then JPEG (fine) is a good setting since RAW images require post processing.

If you are shooting in full raw you have the best amount of information to work with. On some cameras you do have a smaller raw option. Shoot at the full size.
What are you shooting with currently?

The D70 is a good camera, and yes flash at 1/500, very nice. Well built for the money . Just make sure you check it out and get a shutter count read out. I have seen them for around $200.00 with a low shutter count of around 12,000 to 15,00 clicks, that is low for that year camera. It is good for around 75,000 clicks they say. I use to have one.

But seconds thouights you can get a Nikon D80 for around that same price, A little more maybe but a lot more camera but a lower Flash

Last edited:
i have already got a bridge camera im just waiting to step up to dslr just short of funds so need to start saving

The D70 is a good camera, and yes flash at 1/500, very nice. Well built for the money . Just make sure you check it out and get a shutter count read out. I have seen them for around $200.00 with a low shutter count of around 12,000 to 15,00 clicks, that is low for that year camera. It is good for around 75,000 clicks they say. I use to have one.

But seconds thouights you can get a Nikon D80 for around that same price, A little more maybe but a lot more camera but a lower Flash

Hold the phone! You're telling me, I should be looking for shutter counts while buying a used camera? Does the shutter degrade in some way after a while? Or what really happens in a old camera with say a lot of shutter counts?

Hold the phone! You're telling me, I should be looking for shutter counts while buying a used camera? Does the shutter degrade in some way after a while? Or what really happens in a old camera with say a lot of shutter counts?

Low shutter count is a good indication that the camera has not been used and abused too badly ...and yes, the shutter itself in every camera is rated for a certain number of clicks. Most work beyond the projected cycle but when buying a camera, you should try to get one with the lowest number. If you find a used camera that you like, ask the seller to take a photo of today's newpaper with it and send it to you. You can verify the camera's shutter actuation count by reviewing the metadata (EXIF) in the photo.

Hold the phone! You're telling me, I should be looking for shutter counts while buying a used camera? Does the shutter degrade in some way after a while? Or what really happens in a old camera with say a lot of shutter counts?[/QUOT

Yes , a digital camera has a expected life to it, The higher end cameras have a life expectancy of around 200,000 clicks and up lower end cameras maybe around 100,000 before you many need some repairs.

Yes , a digital camera has a expected life to it, The higher end cameras have a life expectancy of around 200,000 clicks and up lower end cameras maybe around 100,000 before you many need some repairs.

Older cameras have lower life cycles than that. For example:
nikon d70 | Camera Shutter Life Database

Average number of actuations after which shutter is still alive: 34,304.4
Average number of actuations after which shutter died: 49,301.0

wow, learnt something new today. How would one find out the current count? Like for example, if I plan to buy one off eBay, should the seller be asked to post that number?
EDIT: never mind found this website: http://myshuttercount.com/

Most reactions

New Topics

Back