Are these colors too distracting from my subject?

MK3Brent

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Shot with my D200
12-24 f/4
SB700 through 4'x4' softbox

I noticed here that the colors of everything else seem distracting.
What do you think?
How can these be done better?

That stool on the left is driving me crazy, I wish I moved it or changed my composition.

Tear this one apart, friends. :D

7332179022_56340f3efc_c.jpg

I think the back wall is more interesting than that large expanse of mud brown flooring. I you had lowered your camera position you could have at least captured the wall up to the ceiling line. This would also probably not make her feet look so tiny. As an environmental portrait, I believe this could have been shot in landscape orientation. There's no harm in shooting both.

Cool looking model and space. Thanks for sharing.

Where abouts in Eastern NC? I'm in Raleigh.

I think the back wall is more interesting than that large expanse of mud brown flooring. I you had lowered your camera position you could have at least captured the wall up to the ceiling line. This would also probably not make her feet look so tiny. As an environmental portrait, I believe this could have been shot in landscape orientation. There's no harm in shooting both.

Cool looking model and space. Thanks for sharing.

Where abouts in Eastern NC? I'm in Raleigh.

I might have another shot like what you're describing.
Do you ever just get tired of the same perspective? I think that's why I went elevated here. (I also captured a shot with people behind the counter from this angle, so it made more sense.)
Thanks for replying!

I'm over in Greenville, and head over to Greensboro every other weekend.
Keep in touch, maybe we can shoot in Raleigh or something sometime.

There's a lot going on in this busy picture, I hope you shot a lot. The backgrounds look like they could have been used in a bunch of different ways.

Nice shot. Crop off the foreground floor, most of it. The setting enhances the portrait except for the two other people. There is nothing more visually compelling to a human being than the image of another human being -- even from behind, so the people in the back command attention which I think detracts a little from the primary subject. The stool on the left doesn't bother me it belongs there. Color? I love the color!

Joe

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try the crop.
Lately, I've been on this whole "NO CROP" phase where I fill the frame, and am responsible for everything in it.

Next time, I will be mindful of other humans in the background too. :D

Most reactions

Back