Are these even worth it? (macro lens/tube) & few other questions

Natural_Disaster

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Was looking around on ebay and found these...Was wondering if they would make a difference with close up shots....
46mm Close-Up Macro Lens +Tube Adapter For Nikon D5000 - eBay (item 370337652243 end time Feb-25-10 12:25:33 PST)
Im gonna be completely honest and say i have no clue what to look for as far as lens to get better macro photos. Even after asking about the best lens on here already, i got lost and confused again...
Also...(im sure im gonna feel like an idiot after i get these answers)..
Why do these say 46mm while other macro lens (the entire lens) say 200mm or 800mm?
And...Is there actually a 200mm telephoto lens and a 200mm macro lens that are two different lens?
I have the 55-200mm lens for my nikon...so im assuming that's completely different than when i see a macro lens refereed to as being a 200mm?
Why does it seem i can get better close ups with the telephoto lens?

Sorry so many questions again..I think my brain is on overload and i just cant seem to sort all this out right..
Thanks to everyone who takes the time to explain!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Macro lenses are special lenses designed for close-up work with smaller objects. Their specialized optics allow them to focus down to very close distance. When you buy a lens you want to make sure that it has macro capabilities if macro is important to you. The 200mm that you mention will also do a great job as a telephoto, but with macro capabilities you can get much closer and fill your frame more as you would expect when shooting with macro.

The e-bay items that you mentioned are just close-up filters that you put on the front of your lens in order to get closer to your subject. They work OK but you need a pretty steady hand to get good results. The 46mm that they refer to is the size of the filter that goes on the front of the lens, not the mm of the lens. Hope this helps.

Most reactions

Back