Arg! Never have my camera when I need it!

This has happened to me a few times as well. It sucks thinking what you could've captured, but oh well. Better luck next time and just bring your camera with you more often.

I've been obsessed with skies lately, and it never fails that I see the most interesting skies when I am camera-less, or when I'm stuck at work.

I'm surprised, though, that no one has mentioned the risks of always bringing your camera with you - I don't even like running into 7-11 for a Slurpee leaving my bag in my car.

Do you guys who always have your camera ever leave it unattended? If I'm out with my gear, I am always uneasy when it's out of my sight.

Jon

I've been obsessed with skies lately, and it never fails that I see the most interesting skies when I am camera-less, or when I'm stuck at work.

I'm surprised, though, that no one has mentioned the risks of always bringing your camera with you - I don't even like running into 7-11 for a Slurpee leaving my bag in my car.

Do you guys who always have your camera ever leave it unattended? If I'm out with my gear, I am always uneasy when it's out of my sight.

Jon

I never leave the house without my camera anymore. Like you said I seem to miss the most awesome, candid shots when I dont. Its always tucked away in the SUV though. I wouldnt leave it just sitting on the seat. Though I often leave my tripod in the back fully extended. Pretty tough to see through the tint.

Ive always found its important to not think like a victim. Its just bad energy and makes you more succepible to such things. Again that doesnt mean being foolhardy with gear.

Ive always found its important to not think like a victim.

I'll have to learn how to do that some day. But, I swear, if my stuff got jacked I'd probably cry like a schoolgirl.

Jon

So, sounds like I just have to suck it up and do the obvious thing :p

Thanks for all the replies, guys. I've been reading them on my iPod, but I hate typing on that thing, and I just managed to get on the computer.

I finally managed to get some decent shots, though I did get drenched in the process. I'll have to process them and post some :)

For me, most of the good photo oppertunities are when I'm commuting - I live in a smaller town, and there are some awesome fields and things. Anyways, that means I'm in the car when I need my camera. You guys mentioned theft as a problem. But I'm less worried about that than I am about the temperature. Will the heat (or cold, in the winter) damage my camera?

Also, do you guys bring a kit with you, or just a body & walk-arround lens?

Thanks!

But I'm less worried about that than I am about the temperature. Will the heat (or cold, in the winter) damage my camera?

I'd be more worried about the heat than the cold...

That's what I'm most worried about. In the summer here, I'm sure the interior of a closed car gets upwards of 150 degrees... I don't want to leave anything in that...

(...Probably not as bad in Canada ;))

(...Probably not as bad in Canada ;))

;) Probably not, but the car seats get hot enough to burn your tush, that's for sure!

Not exactly sure what 150 degrees Fahrenheit is in Celsius, but it sounds real hot! I know that our car heats up past the temperature advised in the camera manual anyways.

Anyone know a way arround this?

A pocket-size adjustable camera with a larger than average sensor is a great alternative to all your regular gear, if you are not sure whether a camera will be needed or not.

skieur

Jon
No.

IMO leaving the camera unattended defeats the purpose of having it with you.

People laugh at me for carrying my 'man-purse.' I tell them "What's the point of owning a camera if you're not gonna carry it with you."

They generally leave me alone after that.

i personally (if i go somewhere i know isnt full of thieves and have some photo-oportunitys other than rubbish on the street and brids in the sky) take my whole kit (currently consists of
50mm, 75-300mm, 18-55mm kit, canon 450D with lens cleaning fluid, lens cloth, small light (torch / flashlight) sd card reader, battery grip, 3 small tripods (the mini ones) extra sd cards, gittos rocket blower, macro / closeup filters, extra pads incase i decide to change my bag layout
and store it all inside my lowepro Slingshot AW 300

Most reactions

New Topics

Back