Artists

AverageJoe

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I was photographing at and around the Minneapolis Institute of Arts today. I passed by a really old brick building and started taking photos of the brick, windows, doors etc... A young woman with dark hair broke out of the main door as I was shooting and sat down on the steps of the building. From what I gathered, she carried a lot of frustration and despair from what I could sense and completely ignored me and my camera. Shortly there after she was joined by another woman, older with brown hair, which sat down next to her and spoke to her quietly. I continued to shoot and then felt compelled into their conversation. I asked if the building was an apartment building, the young woman responded saying no it wasn't designed to quarter people living in it, it was a series of studios for artists. I wanted to keep the conversation going and butter them up a little so without putting much thought to it I asked "Are you artists?", they both looked back with a subdued smile the kind of smile parents give their five year olds when they ask "where do babies come from" or "why does it rain". The older woman quickly responded to my question with "says the man with the camera around his neck..." and the younger woman with dark hair said "we are but in a different medium", we all laughed and then I seized the opportunity to ask them if I could take their picture. They both looked at each other and quietly consulted one another and responded saying its okay. Here is what I captured:

ArtFriends.jpg

I wouldn't change anything about this photo, I wouldn't go back and get off my bike and walk to where the steps are clear of the two women, I wouldn't have framed it so the railing is clear of both of their faces, I wouldn't tighten up the zoom or change the aperture. Everything that was conveyed to me about what they said to me and who these two women were and the impact, however subtle is here in this photo.

Here are a couple shots to add some context assuming you were paying attention above:

context.jpg

context2.jpg

Most reactions

Back