Artsy or Fartsy?

Artsy or fartsy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
From a newbie perspective, the first one looks like there was an attempt to be artsy with the unusual lighting effect with blinds or whatever. Also the angle at which it was shot. If it was purely documentary or a "cell phone quicky snapshot" and not meant to look "pretty" hence "artsy" they would've been straight on shots with a blinding flash. So yes, some artsy to them IMO. Not my cup-of-tea however, so I wouldn't call it good or interesting art for my tastes.

In general (again as a newbie), when talking about "art" in a photography context (and not good vs bad art), I think the definition is much more lax but easier defined than other forms of visual art. In my mind, it comes down to the thought process a photographer goes through to create the picture. Are they capturing a moment only to document it? Most people take pictures this way. Snap a picture of your kid blowing out candles so you remember and post it on Facebook. Or are they capturing a moment and trying to make it look interesting, beautiful, etc? Fewer people do this. Turn down the lights, get a tripod, and capture the moment of your kid blowing out the candles. Not saying there's any requirement for fancy equipment or time, just as long as the photographer is attempting to make the moment "beautiful" (subjectively) rather than simply documenting it. I think most people who take the time to join this forum and post their pictures fit into the later almost by default. Facebook is for the former. But that's just me!

Well in this case the artsy part is more in whats in the picture rather then then picture it self.I really have to go with fartsy on this one. I think propping them up agains a dark back and use of good lighting and no holster they can be terrific. Kinda of like good watch photography.

Just some ideas here with some mind blowing pics. http://smith-wessonforum.com/lounge/96587-how-photograph-gun.html

Last edited:
Good luck defining art. Just because one person declares a cross in a jar of urine as art doesn't mean I have to see it as art.

Guns: why not treat it as NSFW/nudity, a special forum just for the subject matter? Don't like guns? Ok, don't visit that area. Love guns? Welcome to that area of the forum!

At least I'm from the USA where people can post what they want and talk openly about guns, sexual preferences, race and religion. Where are you all from? Oh wait, WTF happened to my country?!

Well at least respect the fact that this forum can run itself however it sees fit and if they do something that makes several valuable members mad and they leave, well that is at their risk but it is their forum so let the mods do what they want and respect that. Too much to ask perhaps.

I can't declare the first photo art or not. I can say I like it. The second is too dark unless you were going for a specific effect that you didn't feel the need to explain. I mean if it is blown up to be a large display at a trade show booth where everyone at the booth would know exactly what they're looking at then it may serve its purpose perfectly.

Don't take anything too personally though. If you post photos asking for comments, be ready for comments of all flavors!

Last edited:
Good luck defining art.

Easy enough. Art (Noun) : Any expression or application of human creativite skill that involves dogs seated at a poker table.

Seriously, not rocket science.. lol

At least I'm from the USA where people can post what they want and talk openly about guns, sexual preferences, race and religion. Where are you all from? Oh wait, WTF happened to my country?!

Well yes and no really, and you also have to consider the fact that there are some topics that just really aren't proper to take up in certain venues. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big advocate of free speech and free expression, but there is also a proper time and place issue to consider. I like the idea of having a seperate forum for such things, and I'm not sure how the TPF software works but it does have the ability to do a subscribers area, my question is does it have different subscriber levels? The reason I ask, I'm wondering if it would be possible to have a level that you could subscribe to for free and thus "opt in" on seeing that area, and if you don't you wouldn't see it at all. That way those that wanted to participate could and those who didn't wouldn't have to go out of their way to avoid it.

Just a thought.

Just wanting a vote on these two photos.

Are they artsy, or fartsy?

View attachment 68082View attachment 68083

I like that 1st pic. For the sake of BS internet critique, I may have had the light reflection angle running down the gun in a direction such as the gun would be pointed. But then again you may have intentionally angled you lights and gun this way, and I'm 180 degrees out of phase in my head
bigthumb.gif

Didn't vote because the option I would have wanted wasn't provided. The first one has potential but needs some work. The second one is too dark to even comment on.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back