Artsy or Fartsy?

Artsy or fartsy?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I voted "Artsy".

Then again, not being a moderator, I'm sure my vote doesn't count.

Is that a Benchmade Griptillian?

As 'Bacon' wasn't an option, I abstained. To be honest, these two images seem like nothing more than quick cell-phone snaps.

As 'Bacon' wasn't an option, I abstained. To be honest, these two images seem like nothing more than quick cell-phone snaps.

I disagree.

But, since you see no artistic value to them, John, would you be kind enough to explain how such photos could have more of an artistic quality?

Could you explain what is and isn't "art"?

See, because, I had always been under the impression that art was subjective. You can imagine my surprise to learn that there's actually a committee which decides that...

Yes, art is subjective. These photographs are not very artistic.

The pistol shot (no pun) is not posed well, not lighted well, and half of the firearm is hidden (but that end would be OOF anyway).

The knife (can we write that?) is also not posed well, and is underexposed.

But, since you see no artistic value to them, John, would you be kind enough to explain how such photos could have more of an artistic quality?
Certainly.

Could you explain what is and isn't "art"?
No; I can only explain what I see as art (hence the use of the word "seem" in my post.

See, because, I had always been under the impression that art was subjective. You can imagine my surprise to learn that there's actually a committee which decides that...
It is; absolutely subjective. Again, I refer you to the use of the word 'seem' from which I expected other readers to infer that I was expressing an opinior rather than absolute fact.

With respect to having artistic quality; in my opinion, one is unlikely to acheive artistic qualities without some forethought and planning. Again, my OPINION is that the images in the OP are quick snaps without any thought, planning or artistic intent.

Last edited:
wtf @ Steve? Did somebody drown your kitten this morning or something?

@OP, I think the gun photo is decent. A bit of a distracting background and scene. Looks like a car seat?? If you just took even that same blanket and draped it across something, you'd have less clutter. Either that or something detectably normal like a tabletop in a living room or a workbench or something. Would probably use a little more DOF to get more of the subject in focus.

The knife one is not as good. Background is sort of less distracting, but the photo is severely underexposed, and unlike the venetian blinds thing, there's no explanation here as to why. I can't make out what the knife looks like very easily. Also muddy dull brown isn't very exciting.

With respect to having artistic quality; in my opinion, one is unlikely to acheive artistic qualities without some forethought and planning. Again, my OPINION is that the images in the OP are quick snaps without any thought, planning or artistic intent.

Thank you for your opinion good sir.

These are one of those pictures that are probably best suited for individuals that are fans of the product brand itself.

For instance, the knife is a Spyderco. Other than being infamous for a knife that is made right here in the USA- their knives are the only ones with the large finger hole in the blade. I purposely had it in focus due to this.

The M&P was simply sitting there in the cool looking light coming from the blinds. I had just bought my 50mm lens.

But hey, I shouldn't have to explain it right?

[QIt is; absolutely subjective. I again, I refer you to the use of the word 'seem' from which I expected other readers to infer that I was expressing an opinior rather than absolute fact.

Hmmmmm... I'm confused. Terri said that the moderators decide what's "artful" and what is not. Now you're saying it's subjective...

their knives are the only ones with the large finger hole in the blade.
Erm, dunno about that. Having holes in the blade is a pretty generic characteristic. For hanging, weight distribution, fingers, all sorts of stuff.
This is what I have in my pocket right now, as a matter of fact, which is not a Spyderco: http://code4shop.com/wp-content/themes/shopperpress/thumbs/skeletool-blade.jpg in this case 50% for weight 50% for leverage to open it with your finger.

Anyway, still a good composition choice to focus on that, for sure. But just more brightness.

their knives are the only ones with the large finger hole in the blade.
Erm, dunno about that. Having holes in the blade is a pretty generic characteristic. For hanging, weight distribution, fingers, all sorts of stuff.
This is what I have in my pocket right now, as a matter of fact, which is not a Spyderco: http://code4shop.com/wp-content/themes/shopperpress/thumbs/skeletool-blade.jpg in this case 50% for weight 50% for leverage to open it with your finger.

Anyway, still a good composition choice to focus on that, for sure. But just more brightness.

I guess I should have said that differently. They are the only ones with a large circle for the finger hole.

I didn't mean for that to come off as holes in general.

I think that is too obvious.

Poor composition on both, and the second one is underexposed. The first also has some distracting elements.

wtf @ Steve? Did somebody drown your kitten this morning or something?

@OP, I think the gun photo is decent. A bit of a distracting background and scene. Looks like a car seat?? If you just took even that same blanket and draped it across something, you'd have less clutter. Either that or something detectably normal like a tabletop in a living room or a workbench or something. Would probably use a little more DOF to get more of the subject in focus.

The knife one is not as good. Background is sort of less distracting, but the photo is severely underexposed, and unlike the venetian blinds thing, there's no explanation here as to why. I can't make out what the knife looks like very easily. Also muddy dull brown isn't very exciting.

This is a better explanation of my thoughts, actually. And at the first sentence, Gav... :lol:

Oh lawd here we go.

Looking closer at the first one, if you can move the gun a little more inboard on the chair so the only background is the arm and still maintain the Venetian blind look, that might be quite appealing. Also try setting your camera for +.7 or so EV, play with that a little bit and see what you like. It's got potential there.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back