As generic as it gets for me.

There's just something I don't quite...like...about the light. It's not bad light at all. It's kind of Rembrandt-y.

But...I think it's not hitting her eyes enough for my tastes.

I could see this kind of dramatic natural light being a good high fashion look, but for me it doesn't quite get there with this particular model/purpose.

I think it also had a little bit to do with the background. The elements in it aren't necessarily distracting, but it does seems brighter than the model.

I agree, slightly underexposed in general (but the dramatic lighting on her face makes that difficult to correct without overexposure) and they are somewhat cool. As an example... +3 Brightness, +6 Red, - 6 Green (edit on the right) Pretty significant difference...

View attachment 47878

To me that just makes her skin tone way too red. As for under exposure, it was a challenge to expose her properly without clipping the highlights in the background.

There's just something I don't quite...like...about the light. It's not bad light at all. It's kind of Rembrandt-y.

But...I think it's not hitting her eyes enough for my tastes.

I could see this kind of dramatic natural light being a good high fashion look, but for me it doesn't quite get there with this particular model/purpose.

I think it also had a little bit to do with the background. The elements in it aren't necessarily distracting, but it does seems brighter than the model.

I agree with you about a lot of this. Im wishing I had caught more catchlight in her eyes. Regular portraits like these just aren't my usual style, so I was a bit out of my element. All a big learning process for me still.

I agree, slightly underexposed in general (but the dramatic lighting on her face makes that difficult to correct without overexposure) and they are somewhat cool. As an example... +3 Brightness, +6 Red, - 6 Green (edit on the right) Pretty significant difference...

View attachment 47878

To me that just makes her skin tone way too red. As for under exposure, it was a challenge to expose her properly without clipping the highlights in the background.

Odd.. I am on a calibrated monitor... and your original has skin color I would expect to see in a vampire or zombie movie! lol! No warmth at all!

I gave one a go..

$_MG_9699.jpg

Great shots! But my first reaction was that you took the colour off her face. She looks pale. Otherwise, good work.

I usually like to make my models pale when I do art shoots, and I think I was editing by habit with this shoot when I should have been editing more towards the style of portrait (not being an art portrait).

She looks grey, not cool.... and under exposed which plays into the hand of the grey look. I'm not exactly sure what your intentions were, but I doubt zombie-like was in the mix. BTW, my 24" monitor is calibrated.

Apart from #2, all are shown with football shoulders. This is not the most flattering pose, particularly for females. #2 only gives a glimpse at a more dynamic pose.

The subtle use of Fill flash and/or reflectors would have been a bonus to make her stand out. With a background so bright, the subject should be brighter and the background reduced in intensity. Experience will be your guide.

If your purpose was to highlight her image for a newspaper article, then IMO you have failed. Your artistic vision sometimes needs to take a back seat to convention whether you believe it or not. The greater good would be to accentuate her features, not your art in this instance.

This looks really great to me. Definitely not too red like a tomato (sorry cgipson, the overly red tones were too much for me) and just the right amount of warmth to me.

I like warmth.. not corpse pallor! My edit is within the accepted range, on the warm side. The image two posts above is in the acceptable range on the cool side. I would suggest that you need to recalibrate your eyes for normal flesh tones... since it would seem you seldom work with them. (not saying that is a bad thing.. but when you are working with a pretty girl, you don't want her to look like she just rose from the grave, do you?)

This may help....

Correcting Skin Color: CMYK Tone Values & Nationality (Ethnic) Variations | Measuring and Correct Skin Color

Tip of the Day: Skin Tones By the Numbers | Popular Photography

Thanks for the advice cgipson. Regardless, it is about my vision, and I decide what is too red for my own personal taste. The other one that I quoted is still the one I prefer. It's a simple difference of taste, not a matter of right or wrong.

Kundalini, I think you are right. She looks gray to me, not blue. I'm going to try watching for these things in the future. This was my first time shooting for a newspaper to do a feature. That being said, both the newspaper and the girl really love the photos, so I do not see this as a failure. Definitely a good lesson though.

Last edited:
Do not confuse acceptance as acceptable. Your due diligence to discern between the two is what is required. There have been several comments already that should allude to the truth.

Do not confuse acceptance as acceptable. Your due diligence to discern between the two is what is required. There have been several comments already that should allude to the truth.

Like I said, I'm taking this as a learning lesson. I can be happy that both the publisher and client are more than accepting of the photo though, nor do I have to look at it as a complete failure. This doesn't mean that I don't see what I can do better in the future through the feedback that I'm getting here.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back