As is or straighten?

camjam

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jimandlauraphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Trying to decide if I need to straighten the photo. Shooting from the stands, so the angles are weird. Please let me know what you think.

zachowu.jpg

zachstraightened.jpg

#2 looks downright weird to me. #1 looks right.

The angle of the first one seems okay to me, as this is the way one is generally "used" to seeing swimming lanes. But that big purplish blob in the lower right corner is highly distracting; I think I'd try to do something about that, if only cropping as much of it as possible out.

#1 definitely and also what Sharon said about the big purple blob.

The second one looks wrong for the following reason:

- in order to render the lane line horizontal, you need to be pointing your camera directly across the pool, at right angles to the side. It can point up or down or horizontal, but it must point at right angles to the side.
- the view on the swimmer in #2 makes it clear that you are NOT pointed directly across the pool in this fashion
- therefore you must be tilting the camera

In #1 the angle of the lane lines across the frame is consistent with the view of the swimmer, you appear to be holding the camera level, and pointing it back down the lane toward the swimmer, you are facing diagonally across the pool.

Don't be fooled by simple lines -- the mind is pretty sophisticated at putting together visual cues to see what's going on, and if the camera was actually level, there's an excellent chance that the picture will "look" level, no matter what's going on in it.

Agree that the purple bunting is distracting. If it was slightly sharper, it would be a nice element, but since it takes a moment to recognize it, it's just a distraction.

#1 IS straight..

"straight/crooked" has nothing to do with lines in an image (unless it's the horizon). It's about the viewing angle relative to the earth's horizon.

To everyone that responded, thank you. The purple flag was distracting and I was confusing the lane lines in the photo with the horizon.

Cropped the image closer to remove the flag. This is the first decent photo I've been able to get of this particular swimmer. He normally splashes water everywhere to the point you cannot see his face.
zachcroppedtieght.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back