aspiring photographer CC plz

fotobella

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
project365_12.jpg

The first thing I would do is resize your photo so that it is 1000 pixels or less on the longest side. Second thing I would do is take a picture of something more interesting to look at. I think most people will find this photo boring :thumbdown: Keep shooting and good luck. :thumbup:

Hmm, let's see...we have a tilted horizon, part of the ostensibly main subject cropped off for no apparent reason...not much going on. The snowy background is not all that compelling. The notebook is placed in an incongruous setting...the design principle "light advances, dark recedes" springs to mind--'cause the background seems to advance, and overpower the ostensible subject.

The focus is good. That's about all you've got going for your snap. The lines in the photo )the concrete's brush-stroke finish, and the siding) lead the eye out of the main subject's area. All in all, not a very compelling still life.

To anybody who has studied photography for very long, a deliberately tilted horizon line is anathema--it screams 'noob, very loudly. The photo breaks many fundamental compositional principles for no apparent reason,and so as a photograph, it doesn't rise very far above the level of well-exposed snap. But hey--it is well-exposed! I've seen many similar shots underexposed by 4-5 stops before, so take heart, and keep at it! I looked for Sasquatch in the large size image, but did not find him.

way too titled, busy background, the main subject is partially cut off at the bottom.

Tilts are not that great. Also you need content. In order to get critique you need a subject worth critiquing. We are not trying to be mean but, it is just a fact of the way it is. Also it helps if you give us some backround on either yourself and, how long you have been shooting and, what you are shooting with.

This is just a photo that went into my 365 project. I know it is extremely boring to all but it has a story behind it for me.

I shoot with a D300 and 18-200 3.5 VR. I plan to buy a 50mm 1.8 lens within the next few months. I've been practicing by shooting more starting October 2009. Been shooting with a D50 (mostly on auto) since 2006. My main subjects are people but unfortunately, I don't always have people (or pets) to photograph.

Would it help if I studied a book on composition? If so, any recommendations?

I ordered the 1st Digital Photography Book and also Understanding Exposure. Hoping these will help me!

Thanks for criticism. Keep it coming. Hopefully I will have a new photo tomorrow that is not so boring.

Im guessing you mean the Peterson book on Understanding Exposure to which he also makes a companion Understand Compositon. But then there are tons of resources on line as well on composition just google rule of thirds and, photography composition. If you have questions on those then we will be glad to help. Also for your D300 you might consider the 35mm 1.8 or the 85mm 1.8. Also you will find that with the D300 you will have to work more with the D300 images over the D50. I shoot with the D300 and shot with the D50 not in auto but, the D50 was a great camera right out of the box. I miss mine at times.

This is just a photo that went into my 365 project. I know it is extremely boring to all but it has a story behind it for me.

Isn't the point of photography to convey something to the viewer?
Is the photo successful when only you know the story?

Your title "aspiring photographer CC plz"

And your description are nothing a like.

"This is just a photo that went into my 365 project. I know it is extremely boring to all but it has a story behind it for me."

Its your first post, if it has a story and you are "aspiring" then you should give your story to us prior to us guessing why you have posted that pic. If you are aspiring post 3-4 of your best, not just todays 365

Hmm, let's see...we have a tilted horizon, part of the ostensibly main subject cropped off for no apparent reason...not much going on. The snowy background is not all that compelling. The notebook is placed in an incongruous setting...the design principle "light advances, dark recedes" springs to mind--'cause the background seems to advance, and overpower the ostensible subject.

The focus is good. That's about all you've got going for your snap. The lines in the photo )the concrete's brush-stroke finish, and the siding) lead the eye out of the main subject's area. All in all, not a very compelling still life.

To anybody who has studied photography for very long, a deliberately tilted horizon line is anathema--it screams 'noob, very loudly. The photo breaks many fundamental compositional principles for no apparent reason,and so as a photograph, it doesn't rise very far above the level of well-exposed snap. But hey--it is well-exposed! I've seen many similar shots underexposed by 4-5 stops before, so take heart, and keep at it! I looked for Sasquatch in the large size image, but did not find him.

saved me alot of typing!:thumbup:

Guess you are still aspiring, really there is nothing right with this photo.
Story does not matter, a bad photo remains.

that is a little harsh, you need to start somewhere.

if this was for selling a product, this shot is ok... but i would pop some colors so it catches my eye, neutralize the background, and i personally like the tilt angle but you cut off the product on the lower right....

i agree with others, i'd love to know your story behind the picture and why it's special for you... from what i gathered i thought this was a picture for maybe advertisement of selling a product or something (like a photo in a product gallery or something), in which case the composition works (for me)....

Last edited:

that is a little harsh, you need to start somewhere.

agreed!!! statements like that come across as completely arrogant and un called for. A photographer, be it professional or hobbyist, with any sense of class or humility would NEVER give criticism like that to any of his peers. for shame! :thumbdown:

You guys hurt my feelings.
You should see some of the critiques I received when I was just starting out lol...
Sugarcoating poor photography does no one any good.
Really just trying to help out...sorry if it came across harsh....but I stand by it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back