aspiring photographer CC plz

I didn't intend to hurt your feelings Shockey, and im sorry if you recieved harsh critique when you were starting out too. No one is asking to sugarcoat anything... but if you're going to bash a photo at least do it tactfully... give your opinion on what he did wrong and offer some suggestions to help so he can learn from it :hug::

Trust me that was not bashing, and I was kidding my feeling were not really hurt.
No trying to be an a$$ really...moving on.

You guys hurt my feelings.
You should see some of the critiques I received when I was just starting out lol...
Sugarcoating poor photography does no one any good.
Really just trying to help out...sorry if it came across harsh....but I stand by it.

this is his first picture, instead of making a arrogant comment you may instead choose to share how to improve the work. There is nothing wrong with aggressive cc but there are much better ways not to "sugar coat" and effectively get your point across.

i would like to see a link to some of your work too please.

Don't know why you guys are on my case. Go to some other net sites and see what really harsh criticism look like.
Seriously I see people all the time telling people their not very good work is good and that is the worst thing you can do to a persons development.
If in fact this was the guys first post on this site I do apologize and yes I should have been nicer...but it was not an arrogant comment.
I think if you look back through all the critiques I give people I give consistent helpful no BS feedback.
www.alloutdoor.smugmug.com my link.

You guys hurt my feelings.
You should see some of the critiques I received when I was just starting out lol...
Sugarcoating poor photography does no one any good.
Really just trying to help out...sorry if it came across harsh....but I stand by it.

Dont sugar coat it, but Jesus man, dont kick people in the ding ding. There is always a better way of critiquing (SP?). Look, my kids are idiots, but I dont call them idiots. I phrase things better LOL!!!!

Don't know why you guys are on my case. Go to some other net sites and see what really harsh criticism look like.
Seriously I see people all the time telling people their not very good work is good and that is the worst thing you can do to a persons development.
If in fact this was the guys first post on this site I do apologize and yes I should have been nicer...but it was not an arrogant comment.
I think if you look back through all the critiques I give people I give consistent helpful no BS feedback.
www.alloutdoor.smugmug.com my link.

those are some gorgeous bridal shots in your gallery, especially the ones of Crystal. wow! :thumbup:!!

{to the OP... sorry for getting off track... didn't mean to hijack! :lmao:}

No one will learn anything without harsh/truthful criticism.
The praise gets you nowhere, you'll just stay where you are, satisfied with your ugly snapshots.

really?? that's such a depressing way to view things... i thought it was harsh words that drove people to give up and constructive criticism that made people want to keep trying. why would you want anyone to feel awful about themselves? i hope you're not a voluneteer coach for a disabled child's special olympics team or something... with this mentoring style of yours you will surely not have many followers. LOL, are you not going to put your 5 year old's crayola masterpeice on the fridge because if you tell him its good, he'll never learn to do better... why make him satisfied with his ugly drawing??? Geez, grow up!

Last edited:
I came to this forum to learn something because I've heard that people can learn things from others by reading forums and reading critiques of work. However, if all people are doing on here is arguing and being mean and negative towards beginnners, then I do not want to be a part of it. I'm very disappointed with way some of you are acting. I do want to constructive criticism but that is not constructive, it is downright mean. You do not have to tell me you like it. I'm trying to learn exposure, composition and photoshop all at the same time.

Remember, you too were once a beginner. I've come along way from where I initially started. You didn't become amazing overnight. It took a lot of practice, patience and time.

Also, I have no clue how to pop colors in Photoshop...any care to enlighten me?

fotobella, just shrug off the crappy comments, they aren't worth anything anyway. As for "popping" colors, the notebook has some neutral colors but you could try several things next time: increase saturation or boost your color in post processing, you could try different lighting styles on the notebook itself to make it stand out, or have a neutral white background for it... (the current background blends in with the colors on the book).

Aspiring photographer with a D300! I read your blog and it seems that you want to keep buying things like books, lenses, and a new camera when you did have a D50 whch is a great camera.(I still use mine) But the best way to improve is shoot everything as much as possible, and learn to use different modes besides auto. There is some great C&C here ,especially from Derrel, so just learn from what people say here and when you go out shooting. I'm no pro ,just a teen with a love for this stuff, but hope this helps.

Oh and I like to think of this quote sometimes:
"...Your camera dosent have a Richard Avedon button does it? Well Avedon sucked, Karsh sucked, Adams sucked, Mary Ellen sucked, Howard sucked, Jarvas sucked. Every photographer in all of history was a horrible photographer for some peroid of time, they learned, they grew, they had dark days, they percevered. That is the way of the artist. Just be patient, keep on going. Transformation takes time from what I seen in my life. It really is worth the wait." - Zack Arais

I came to this forum to learn something because I've heard that people can learn things from others by reading forums and reading critiques of work. However, if all people are doing on here is arguing and being mean and negative towards beginnners, then I do not want to be a part of it. I'm very disappointed with way some of you are acting. I do want to constructive criticism but that is not constructive, it is downright mean. You do not have to tell me you like it. I'm trying to learn exposure, composition and photoshop all at the same time.

Remember, you too were once a beginner. I've come along way from where I initially started. You didn't become amazing overnight. It took a lot of practice, patience and time.
Bella you just have to learn selective reading here. You might also try going to the Nikon Cafe as well.

If you read my blog, you may also see that I have done some photoshoots of people (which I tend to find easiest to shoot). I'm currently trying to learn how to shoot in manual mode. It is tedious but I keep working at it. And the reason I am doing a 365 project is to help me learn photography a little better no matter how boring the subject matter is.

I am more than just aspiring, I have done several shoots (some free, some paid). So maybe my title is a little misleading. I am an extreme amateur!

And believe me, I do not have enough money to go and buy all kinds of things. I go to Barnes & Noble and read for hours!

I appreciate those of you who have actually helped me out and the reason I posted here in the first place was for people to tell me what I did wrong and how I could improve.

Take critisisim gracefully, ignore the elitest arrogant asses and enjoy and excel at your passion, and mostly DO NOT get discouraged by hacks that think they are something they are not!

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back