Assign #1 "Wet"

ksmattfish said:
I would like to suggest that in addition to subject description oriented assignments (such as wet, blue, mysterious, etc...), that we occasionally throw in some technical assignments such as:

short DOF: wide aperture

long DOF: narrow aperture

freeze action: fast shutter speed

blur: slow shutter speed

3 times of day: the exact same composition, but taken in 3 different lighting situations

fill the frame: subject must be composed so that it intersects with at least 3 sides of the image frame

triptych: 3 photos shot with the intention of being displayed together

3 focal lengths: take three photos with three different focal lengths (preferably wide, normal, and long), attempt to keep the composition as similar as possible in each photo
Great idea Matt. Why don't you start a thread each week or two for this.

I haven't been taking pictures in ages! (which was the reason why I suggested 'YOUR photo of the week' ) :)

Daniel

img006copy.jpg

ksmattfish said:
I would like to suggest that in addition to subject description oriented assignments (such as wet, blue, mysterious, etc...), that we occasionally throw in some technical assignments such as:

short DOF: wide aperture

long DOF: narrow aperture

freeze action: fast shutter speed

blur: slow shutter speed

3 times of day: the exact same composition, but taken in 3 different lighting situations

fill the frame: subject must be composed so that it intersects with at least 3 sides of the image frame

triptych: 3 photos shot with the intention of being displayed together

3 focal lengths: take three photos with three different focal lengths (preferably wide, normal, and long), attempt to keep the composition as similar as possible in each photo

I'm in complete agreeance with you KSMattfish ... I think that without the technical aspects of the weekly assignments that this assignment isn't differentiated much from the monthly photo challenge.

Perhaps throw in some more topics like anatomy studies (no nothing dirty) but like on the website someone put up as an example for this (can't remember who) which as part of a study of anatomy had an assignment topic of 'hands'. Also specific types of portraiture, macro, or landscapes. Just some ideas anyways.

I think that this whole thing is a great idea. It's something that had been talked about back in the day but never made it very far. I also like the idea of some specificity to the pictures taken. Maybe we could have some narrowed ideas tucked in with the assignment of the week. eg...Water; water and metal; silverware submerged; a knife in soapy water with contrasty lighting... That way people could be as specific as they'd like to be but still people woud be out trying new things, thus expanding their artistic vision.

I'm so glad you started this theme. I just gotta take my picture before the week runs out.

great submissions so far! here is mine

falls5web5sv.jpg

My feeling is (and please forgive me for saying so, but it's been my feeling for days now) that most contributions would meet the requirement "water" - but only the first meets the challenge "wet". Now I do know that water is what makes things wet, but...

LaFoto said:
My feeling is (and please forgive me for saying so, but it's been my feeling for days now) that most contributions would meet the requirement "water" - but only the first meets the challenge "wet". Now I do know that water is what makes things wet, but...

The rocks in my shot are quite WET, also very slippery, even the air is WET
:p

Well, yes, pursuer, you will know it, and I shall believe you: you have been there. You have tried not to fall off the rocks. You have tried to position your tripod so that your camera would stay safe. OK, I believe you: your photo is "wet" :D.

Ah, just thinking about a possible contribution (too late?) - this is it:

Flowers_BlattTropfen.jpg

Here's mine. I put a few personal limitations on myself, b/c I wanted to attempt more of a product type feeling, so I created my own personal little studio and then converted in PS.

dishes.jpg

Tommorow is the last day for submissions and also for voting in the POTM :)

My God!
What HAPPENED?????????

Most reactions

Back