Assign #3: Shallow Depth of Field

IMGP0290a.jpg

A camera records light. You need to know how light works. The light that produces the reflected image in this case is not coming from the doorknob itself; it is coming from some distance in front of the doorknob and is reflected on it. If you want to try and picture it, the rays of light are bent, not shortened.

Pictures are worth a lot of words, so here is one to illustrate my point (and a further submission to the thread). Cropped and resized, no other editing. Notice how the surface of the mirror, whereupon the light is reflected, is in focus but the reflection is not.

ResizeofDSC_6473.jpg

That said, i can't reverse engineer the shot in question, i don't know how it was made, that's why i am asking.

That's because you focussed on the frame rather than an object reflected in the mirror. Had you focussed on yourself, you would be in focus and the frame wouldnt as you are twice the distance of the frame. Not a very good explanation but i know what i mean:D. Here's the only example i have.. (ignore the camera shake)

DSC_1335.jpg

PS, how do you think all the emo kids take their myspace pics?! ;)

seeds.jpg

I like this assignment! I like playing with DOF.

Here are some new submissions from me. I set out this morning to grab some decent shots, and this is what I came up with.

P6100004daylily.jpg

P6100003wborder.jpg

i was bored today so i went out and shot some shallow depth of field shots.

DSC_0022-3.jpg

DSC_0026-1.jpg

DSC_0032-1.jpg

DSC_0045-2.jpg

messed up white balance
DSC_0050-2.jpg

feel free to respond with any critiques, i love to learn more.

I just thought this should be posted

30879-ButterFly.JPG

Finally an entry, finally a lens that gives me some depth of field.

My Nikkor AI-S 50mm f/1.2 arrived yesterday, and god it's sweet. CA is a bit harsh but it's 30 years old and was a bargain IMO so no complaints here.

Obligatory I have a new lens photograph cat shot:
2589082003_11ee700d35_o.jpg

What's "CA"?

I can maybe guess, but I thought asking would be better.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back