Assign #3: Shallow Depth of Field

went out the other morning and shot this in my backyard :]

2318687316_1acca4d889.jpg

Why would the reflection be OOF as well?

Because of the shallow depth of field. The reflection is (coming from) a lot further away than the part of the door that is blurred. With that shallow DoF, it should be out of focus too. I don't know how this whot was made, i am used to reflections from mirrors and can't think why this would be any different. Just like when shooting a mirror, if you focus on the mirror itself, whatever is reflected will be out of focus if you go for shallow DoF.

In my opinion, the reflection on the doorknob is on the doorknob itself (which is sharp because it is at a certain distance away from the camera)
Therefore, everything that is shown on the doorknob (even reflections) are sharp.

A camera can't think and doesn't "see" a reflection with distance in it. It just records the doorknob, with everything on it... :er:

Do I post this here, or into "green" :scratch: ...

MarchColours6.jpg

Seems like nothing can stop spring any more......

In my opinion, the reflection on the doorknob is on the doorknob itself (which is sharp because it is at a certain distance away from the camera)
Therefore, everything that is shown on the doorknob (even reflections) are sharp.

A camera can't think and doesn't "see" a reflection with distance in it. It just records the doorknob, with everything on it... :er:

A camera records light. You need to know how light works. The light that produces the reflected image in this case is not coming from the doorknob itself; it is coming from some distance in front of the doorknob and is reflected on it. If you want to try and picture it, the rays of light are bent, not shortened.

Pictures are worth a lot of words, so here is one to illustrate my point (and a further submission to the thread). Cropped and resized, no other editing. Notice how the surface of the mirror, whereupon the light is reflected, is in focus but the reflection is not.

ResizeofDSC_6473.jpg

That said, i can't reverse engineer the shot in question, i don't know how it was made, that's why i am asking.

Nice one, with which lens did you shoot this one? You can make it a little brighter the image I think?

Canon's 60mm f/2.8

and yes, it came out a bit darker than I'd hoped :[

Ok this was taken with my camera phone so it isn't that good... But hey I tried.
img056.jpg

Great entries everyone! You are all doing a fantastic job!! Thank you for participating!

I love all the flower photos. They are coming up everywhere right now, so here's another one.

Daffodilclose1.jpg

Hopefully I will get a better shot and remove this one with it... :)
b_041647.jpg

Most reactions

Back