Assignment

412 Burgh

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.zacharydiberadin.me
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have an assignment for my class to research a famous photog and shoot in their style. I obviously thought Ansel Adams but my teacher said everyone uses his style. So any ideas of a few new urban photographers that have a more modern style that I could look up? Open to ideas

I also need a distinct style.. I was looking around I found Zack Arias, and Chase Jarvis not quite sure if they will work.

I was interested to read your teacher's comment about everyone using Ansel Adams style - I really don't believe that for a minute - Adams was a darkroom technician and an extremely good one - he spent a lot more time in the darkroom than he probably ever did taking an individual image, at least that is my understanding. You could emulate his style, but only if you are prepared to spend a lot of time in post-processing with Photoshop.

I am not sure from your posting whether the person, whose style you have to use, should be alive or dead, or does it matter. Also, does it have to be a photographer in an urban field, or can it be some other field - landscape, portrait, action, sports, etc. - because there are literally hundreds of styles to "imitate/use". How does your teacher define "urban"- landscape, people...? You noted that they have to be "distinct" - I am assuming that is the one you are supposed to imitate? I am not familiar with either Zack Arias or Chase Jarvis, but if their work attracts you, then I would say - go for it. Let us know some additional information and then maybe we can give you a more definitive response. Good luck in your assignment.

Cheers,

WesternGuy

Last edited:
I was interested to read your teacher's comment about everyone using Ansel Adams style - I really don't believe that for a minute - Adams was a darkroom technician and an extremely good one - he spent a lot more time in the darkroom than he probably ever did taking an individual image, at least that is my understanding. You could emulate his style, but only if you are prepared to spend a lot of time in post-processing with Photoshop.

I am not sure from your posting whether the person, whose style you have to use, should be alive or dead, or does it matter. Also, does it have to be a photographer in an urban field, or can it be some other field - landscape, portrait, action, sports, etc. - because there are literally hundreds of styles to "imitate/use". How does your teacher define "urban"- landscape, people...? You noted that they have to be "distinct" - I am assuming that is the one you are supposed to imitate? I am not familiar with either Zack Arias or Chase Jarvis, but if their work attracts you, then I would say - go for it. Let us know some additional information and then maybe we can give you a more definitive response. Good luck in your assignment.

Cheers,

WesternGuy
Sorry for the lack of knowledge I was on my iPhone.

We are allowed to PP the whole thing but a lot of people use Adam's black and white theory and his hard core contrast. He was the first person I could think of when she said pick a famous photographer. but there aren't many requirements. We have to pick three photos and study their style and then go take one photo of their style. I didn't mean to throw in the word urban, I meant more of a modern well known photographer.

I'm looking for someone who is changing the game with creative styles that are not seen as proper rules of photography.

Last edited:
Well I would recommend using "Ingerson" Eric Ingerson to be exact. The style that I'm mostly known for is "lack of". You can see my "Lack of" style on my "Lack of" website, just click on the "Lack of" link.

I'm always glad to help out a fellow photographer.

Hentri Cartier Bresson

Bruce Gilden and Joe Cohen are some great Street photographers. Gilden is a very up in your face type guy. And that style can be very off putting to people.

And one of the best Garry winogrand

Winogrand would be good. It would teach you to be sneaky and quick on your toes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back