Astrophotography, Where to begin?

Kbmartie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi, I was hoping maybe someone here could give me some pointers on gear that needs to be used with astrophotography. The only DSLR camera I have is a Canon Digital Rebel XT. I have the kit lens and a 18-200mm zoom. I would really like to get some good shots of the stars, but haven't had a chance to experiment yet. If you have any tips please let me know!

Back in the day I did astrophotography, from just mounting a film camera on a telescope piggyback and using the camera's lens, to using a telescope as a lens, to using a specialized telescope for deep sky work that was actually a camera (Schmidt Camera) that took one frame of film at a time (exposures were 45 minutes and up).

You will need a rock solid way to mount the camera. A good tripod will work.

If you want to shoot fainter stuff or don't want star trails you will need a mount/tripod with manual drive controls, or a motor drive that can counter the earth's rotation. (equitorial mount)

step 1: get a phD in astrophysics
step 2: reserve time on the Hubble......

but in all serious I would also like to know more. I have a Meade telescope, but no clue on where to go from there.

Hi, I was hoping maybe someone here could give me some pointers on gear that needs to be used with astrophotography. The only DSLR camera I have is a Canon Digital Rebel XT. I have the kit lens and a 18-200mm zoom. I would really like to get some good shots of the stars, but haven't had a chance to experiment yet. If you have any tips please let me know!

You can dip your toes into the murky depths just with what you have now. Wait for a moonless clear might and head out away from the city lights. Bring your tripod and a 50 mm lens. Point your camera upwards and start experimenting. 50mm, f1.8, infinity focus, 10 to 30 seconds can give you some nice widefield sky images. Next, for just a bit more versatility and for a very modest investment, look into manual barn door trackers. You can make your own for just a few dollars. Every little step deeper into the hobby increases the complexity and the expense. It is not uncommon for aficionados to have $100K or more of equipment and not get a single penny of revenue from it. The hobby is about the challenge.

If you simply want nice star pictures to use as your screen wallpaper then go to the web. The nasa and hubble sites are choked with images you could never hope to replicate.

Two forums that are helpful to beginners are cloudynights.com and astronomyforum.net

I asked the same think a days ago...

But not that I have my camera, I am trying to prepare the settings to sky photos/moon photos...

Hitting my head on the wall :(

Thank you guys so much! I am so excited. I will have to see about one of those motorized tripods, but the one I have now should do just fine!

I will have to see about one of those motorized tripods!

Not to put too fine a point on it but the tripods themselves are seldom motorized (I've never seen one). The mount, to which the telescope is attached, is itself attached to a tripod. The mount is what can be equipped with tracking motors and self contained computerized control mechanisms.

Anyway, that is my bit of pedantry for today. Have fun with the hobby.

Most reactions

Back