What's new

ASTROPHOTOGRAPHY

I was just about to start a themed thread when I found this one.
Let's bring it back from the dead.
Here's one of mine.
M33, the Triangulum Galaxy, is a beautiful spiral galaxy, the third largest in our Local Group (after the Milky Way and Andromeda), located about 3 million light-years away in the Triangulumconstellation.

The gear was a Dwarflabs Dwarf 3 smart telescope. It has a FOV equivalent of about 700mm.
225 stacked images of 30 seconds gain of 60.

Post processing was in Siril (astrophotography processing software) and Photoshop.

M33 by Trevor Baldwin, on Flickr
 
Question about the shape of galaxies. Many have the appearance of a spiral. But since the length of a galaxy could be let's say 50,000 light years from end to end, if you're seeing one on end, the spiral isn't really a spiral because the stars you see at the end are 50,000 light years earlier than the ones you see closer up. Wouldn't the shape of the galaxy be actually different if you could see the whole thing at once?
 
M51
The gear was a Dwarflabs Dwarf 3 smart telescope. It has a FOV equivalent of about 700mm.
650 stacked images of 30 seconds gain of 60.
M51 final by Trevor Baldwin, on Flickr
Very nice! With 650 images is it safe to assume you used some sort of tracking device? Sky guider perhaps? I tested my sky guider last night on a 30 sec shot of the Milkyway and it really improved the shot, at least when zoomed in on. I am currently in Moab Utah, Arches Nat'l park. I might be able to get a good MW shot tonight as the clouds are less tonight, however there are wildfires near so clearity might be an issue. Fingers crossed 😀.
 
Question about the shape of galaxies. Many have the appearance of a spiral. But since the length of a galaxy could be let's say 50,000 light years from end to end, if you're seeing one on end, the spiral isn't really a spiral because the stars you see at the end are 50,000 light years earlier than the ones you see closer up. Wouldn't the shape of the galaxy be actually different if you could see the whole thing at once?
If the galaxies were in line with our viewing plane yes. Either way the galaxies and anything that far away will not necessarily look exactly as we see them.
Very nice! With 650 images is it safe to assume you used some sort of tracking device? Sky guider perhaps? I tested my sky guider last night on a 30 sec shot of the Milkyway and it really improved the shot, at least when zoomed in on. I am currently in Moab Utah, Arches Nat'l park. I might be able to get a good MW shot tonight as the clouds are less tonight, however there are wildfires near so clearity might be an issue. Fingers crossed 😀.
I used a Dwarf 3 smart telescope for that one. It will track and stack the images on its own.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom