Astrophotography

PaulR70

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This was only my second try at shooting the Milky Way. The area I shot in was very light polluted but I managed to post process in Photoshop and Lightroom PSExpress_2019-08-02_12x7_Milky_Way.jpg This shot was a jpeg that I processed on my iPad with Lightroom. Shot with a Nikon D3400, 18-50mm kit lens at 18mm. f3.5 ISO 1600 for 20sec exposure.
_AAA4977outside_myhouse.jpg This was the same shot from RAW file processed in Photoshop using some Astrophotography actions on my PC.
Both shots came from the same RAW file and saved as both Photoshop format and jpeg format.

Astro beginner huh? Not bad! I like #1 the best. I've been thinking about getting into it myself but from what I've read an f/2.8 minimum lens is what you really want for more light and detail. Keep it up, you're doing good!

Astro beginner huh? Not bad! I like #1 the best. I've been thinking about getting into it myself but from what I've read an f/2.8 minimum lens is what you really want for more light and detail. Keep it up, you're doing good!

Thanks, I do have a Samyang 14mm f2.8 lens but wanted to see what the kit lens would do. I need to find a darker area to shoot but it is hard to find in this area (Iowa).
myfirst_star_shots3_my_final10x6.jpg This was my very first try with the Samyang lens and I took 10 shots at f2.8 for 6sec. Then stacked them in a program called Sequator. Then worked on it in Photoshop. I also shot 10 frames with lens cap on for dark frames at same settings, then stack them all together in Sequator. The dark frames help reduce noise, according to what I have read.

Last edited:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back