ASU vs UCLA Football - Thursday Night

JohnnyWrench

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
My fiancé works for one of the colleges at ASU and managed to get me a photo pass for this particular game. These shots aren't going anywhere commercial and they aren't undercutting or taking work away from any pros out there in case anyone is wondering... And rightfully so since these are borderline at best and they're the only keepers I got the whole night! Mostly just sharing... I already know they aren't anything special.

And I have a renewed respect for those out there working 3 cameras with huge lenses on a narrow and crowded sideline. It was fun but I wouldn't want to do it for a living!

ASU v UCLA DSC_4588.jpgASU v UCLA DSC_4667.jpgASU v UCLA DSC_4577.jpgASU v UCLA DSC_4300.jpgASU v UCLA DSC_4369.jpg

COOL! That was a heck of a game, at least from UCLA's standpoint,. I know ASU lead 17-6, then got outscored like 55-10 or thereabouts,. so the UCLA comeback must have been a huge shocker for the fans there.

Well I think you did a real nice job of it, I'd love to have an opportunity like that some day :icon_cheers:

#2 is your best shot and with a tighter crop could be worthy of being publishable, especially if something significant happened on that play. The tough thing about shooting sports is that you have to be on-the-ball all the time. On any given moment, the game defining play/player could emerge ... and if you're shooting for news ... you simply cannot miss that defining moment.

Gary

PS- Send me Money is certainly publishable and game defining.
G

Very cool! Once in a lifetime opportunity for sure! Anyone with half a brain would of jumped on that! Congrats and nice shots!

I envy you SO much right now!
This is definitely on my bucket list--well, not UCLA or ASU (although, if they offered, I wouldn't necessarily turn that down, but it'd be a bit of a commute...)--I want to shoot from the sidelines at a UT Volunteers game, before I get too old and feeble to hold the camera! :D
Like you, I don't want to do it for photos to publish, just for the experience of having done it. And I've watched the photogs at our games--MOST of them are pros, but there's always a few out there who clearly are NOT, so I just gotta figure out who I have to make friends with to get myself out there!

I like these; I think you did quite a decent job. What lens were you using?
I agree that the "send money" shot is, well, Money. :1247:

Nicely done. I agree that #2 and 5 are the cream of this crop but I won't get rid of any of them. Lucky you getting to shooting this.

Thanks for the nice comments everyone. As for the lens I rented a 70-200 2.8 VRII for this. I wanted to add a 1.4 TC but the rental shop was out at the time. I'm guessing they were all at this game.

My favorite of the bunch was actually number 3. I think that shot sort of sums up the whole game. If I recall correctly, that was an interception that was run in for a TD. I think the UCLA player giving the stiff-arm while the ASU player in the back is like "WTF!" kinda tells the story. As a Sun Devil it was hard to watch. Oh well... Good times anyway!

I had a lot of friends upset with the outcome of that game. I am not much of a sports guy but was torn being from LA and living in Tempe. Go either team! lol

Did you rent the lens from Tempe Camera?

Got some good shots!

I had a lot of friends upset with the outcome of that game. I am not much of a sports guy but was torn being from LA and living in Tempe. Go either team! lol

Did you rent the lens from Tempe Camera?

Got some good shots!

Thanks MOREGONE. Yep Tempe Camera. And that lens on the D700 with a grip is a heavy combination. I was definitely tired at the end of that session.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back