What's new

Attaching wheels on lightstands

SabrinaO

TPF Noob!
Joined
Sep 26, 2010
Messages
1,315
Reaction score
75
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Is it a good idea to do this? I work with kids a lot, do different poses and I'm always moving around my lights. What do you think?
 
I have them on my Main and Accent stands. Works a treat.
 
I have them on my Main and Accent stands. Works a treat.

Yay! So im gonna do it. I thought for some reason they would be unsafe. So where did you get the wheels? Did you use casters? Im looking at homedepot and lowes.com now for some.
 
I made a pretty large purchase from PCB with the monolights and "stuff". I'm thinking I got the casters at that time. You could probably find them cheaper elsewhere, but they do fit properly on the legs of a light stand. The casters are female and the stand legs are male. This would be different for a caster that has a mounting plate.

One note of caution: if you put casters on your stands, make sure the wheels are going in the same direction before you make any quick maneuvers, especially if the stand is holding a heavy monolight and heavy modifier. I usually make a small semi-circular move to align them before repositioning.
 
*Moving to Equipment talk subsection*
 
Last edited:
Gah perfectionists ;)
 
I REALLY like caster-based lightstands in the studio...lights do not fall over with them...they just sliiiiiide across the floor when somebody trips on a cord! Keep the cords tied/taped/fastened/clipped/looped around the lowest part of the stand, and you'll not worry about a kid tripping on the cord and pulling a stand over and smashing the reflector or modeling light or the flashtube.
 
Studio... maybe:thumbup:

On location... by a lighter stand.
 
Get some wheels on the light stands, tie a rope from the kid to the light stand, photoshop out the rope. You'll never move a light again. Done.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom