Attn.: Wedding Photographers :edited: few more questions

danalec99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
1. Why did you choose Wedding Photography?
2. Did you start out as an apprentice or started slowly by doing your "cousin's" wedding?
3. Do you get nervous since this is a one time event?
4. What type of camera do you use? - Medium Format, SLR, DSLR? And which would be your primary and/or seconday camera?
6. Film / Flash Card / Both
7. How did you build up the confidence?
8. Source of inspiration?
9. Has your style changed since you started out?

:edited: few more questions!

10. Whats your style? - Formal/posed, semi formal, photo journalistic or mixture of everything?
11. Do you have an assistant? - Does he/she shoot or helps you witht he gear?
12. What type of lens do you use?
13. What type of lighting do you use?
14. For film users, what type of film do you use?
15. Do you do your own post processing or let the lab do it?
16. Do you do your own printing?
17. Do you have your portfolio online?

Thanks,
-Dan

Sorry!!

Moderators, could you pls move this to the General section?!

Thanks.

Yes Lula... its was an accident.... and I've already made the request.

Thanks mods!

1. Why did you choose Wedding Photography? I was always the one at family gatherings with a camera so when people in my large family started getting married, they asked me to be the photographer.

2. Did you start out as an apprentice or started slowly by doing your "cousin's" wedding? Exactly that - first wedding I shot was my cousin's wedding. 2nd was my brother's. :p

3. Do you get nervous since this is a one time event? When I first started doing it, I was nervous to the point of being sick. Once I had a system down, I much more relaxed. My biggest fear... equipment failure or forgetting to bring film. :LOL:

4. What type of camera do you use? - Medium Format, SLR, DSLR? And which would be your primary and/or seconday camera? When I started, I used my Minolta 3xi. Now that camera is my back up and I shoot weddings with my Bronica ETRsi.

6. Film / Flash Card / Both? Film for weddings - always. I haven't been brave enough to try one with my 10D yet.

7. How did you build up the confidence? Shoot lots of them. Portraits too. Look at other photographer work for posing ideas and then develop your own style.

8. Source of inspiration? I look at other photographers work but really my biggest source of inspiration is myself since I am interally competitive - always trying to be better than before.

9. Has your style changed since you started out? Definately! My first weddings used all of the canned wedding poses. Now, I have my own style and poses. Very relaxed but still formal. I spend a ton of time with brides and grooms before the big day so that their wedding photos really reflect who they are.

photogoddess said:
I spend a ton of time with brides and grooms before the big day so that their wedding photos really reflect who they are.

Excellent!! :thumbsup:

Just one more query; what is holding you back from attempting a 10D wedding?

danalec99 said:
Just one more query; what is holding you back from attempting a 10D wedding?

In a lot of ways, I'm still getting aquainted with digital. I've shot film all of my life and as nice as my 10D is, I really just love the richness that I get with professional quality film. Plus, I'm so familiar with my Bronica, it really is my favorite wedding date. ;) I might use my 10D next wedding for a few test shots.

Thanks photogodess for the response! :)

I do wedding photography to make money. I do enjoy it, but if I didn't need to do it for a paycheck, I would be doing other photography than weddings. For now it looks to be my bread and butter. I did pick up a really good commercial job that has led to a lot of work, but I'm not going to count on that every year (although my fingers are crossed).

I started doing the weddings of friends and families. I was doing about 2 weddings a year for pretty cheap; mostly as a gift to the bride & groom. In March of this year I fired up my website, and began trying to actively market myself as a professional portrait, wedding, and commercial photographer. I've gotten a few portrait jobs, but mostly people contact me about wedding photography.

I don't get nervous about my skills and ability to do a good job of the photography. I get nervous when people are late, or behaving in an odd manner (stressed out, drunk, angry, etc...), and we get off track of the photography plan we had discussed. I always emphasize in the initial meetings with the couple that I can only do my best if everyone is on time and cooperative. I always have back-up equipment in case anything malfunctions.

I usually use my Pentax 67II medium format SLR for any posed shots. I have a Rolleiflex TLR and a Norita 66 SLR to use as back-ups. As the prices fall I am contemplating a Hassy with a 6x4.5 220 back for weddings. I was using a Pentax ZX-5 35mm SLR w/28-200 for the action shots, but I've decided that I prefer manual focus so I'm replacing it with a Nikon FM2n. I have assorted 35mm SLRs that can be used for back up (AE-1, K1000, Spotmatics...). I use Vivitar 285 flashes.

I shoot all film. It seems to be important to many of the folks who contact me; they want their weddings shot with film. 6x7 medium format is probably overkill for most wedding clients, but someday I hope to have the kind of clients who will pay extra for extra quality.

Experience and beer build confidence. Experience is probably the better path to confidence.

My inspiration is a local wedding photog I used to talk to when I worked at the lab. One day she was dropping off some film, and griping about not having enough time to spend with her grandchildren because she had too many weddings scheduled. "I guess it's time to raise my prices again" she said. She's my business photography hero!

My style is always evolving. I make sure I get the shots they want, and then I experiment some. The parents (and they may be writing the check) always love the more conservative shots, and the couple always likes the more creative shots.

Thanks Matt!

1. Why did you choose Wedding Photography?

2 reasons. firstly, i was getting tired of the groans from my family because i was always showing up with a camera... so i wanted to find some people who got dressed up and WANTED me to pose them. and secondly... for money. being able to take pictures AND get paid for it is such a surreal concept.

2. Did you start out as an apprentice or started slowly by doing your "cousin's" wedding?

my first wedding was a friend, and then i set up a website and everything exploded. 3 weddings my first year... 19 my second. :p going for 25 this year (to double my income but not make me lose ALL my weekends)

3. Do you get nervous since this is a one time event?

i did because for the first few i was shooting film... didn't sleep until i saw the pictures. but now that i shoot digitally and can preview as i go, (and edit) theres less nerves involved.

4. What type of camera do you use? - Medium Format, SLR, DSLR? And which would be your primary and/or seconday camera?

DSLR - Canon 10D. i have a film backup set, but haven't had to use it yet.

6. Film / Flash Card / Both?

Flash card... 2 - 1GBs

7. How did you build up the confidence?

i think i've always been confident in my own abilities. i know that my pictures look good. for me it was more the "telling people what to do" aspect... but you gotta do what you gotta do, people rely on me to tell them what to do, since they're not professional models and can't really see themselves through the lens like i can.

8. Source of inspiration?

i don't really know... sometimes, seeing pictures, but usually its ideas that i would have liked pictures of. having been a bride there are other pictures i would have liked to have seen.

9. Has your style changed since you started out?

hm... difficult to say since i'm still a beginner. time will tell.

Most reactions

Back