What's new

Auckland Zoo New Zealand

Wozza

TPF Noob!
Joined
May 9, 2007
Messages
534
Reaction score
10
Location
New Zealand
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
(scroll down for new shot)

Went to Auckland zoo in the weekend and of course took the camera. First time taking the DSLR to the zoo and unfortunatly my biggest lens is a 128mm lol.

Recently took the plunge of forcing myself to shoot full manual as I was only using apature and shutter prioty recently. I should have kept the zoom on auto-focus though as tracking I wasn't often as in focus as I'd like to be and some of the shots above are slightly Oof.

Still I learnt a heap and can't wait to shoot some critters again!


2231095531_c57ee1a17b.jpg


^ Unfortunatly blew the highlights on the swans body.

2231889278_98ee17a152.jpg


2231889132_ce78466904.jpg


^ Wasn't exposed for the birds eye.

2231888988_0745bf47d0.jpg


2231888762_01f1e625b9.jpg


2231094807_d9e282951b.jpg


Anyway would love any comments/advice.
 
Last one is my favourite. Nice capture!

David
 
You got some nice images there, and are aware of the problems with some of them (like blowing the highlights on the swan, and not focusing on the subject's eye). My fave is the second shot...colourful, and a nice tight crop. Have you done any post-processing on it, to make the colours pop a bit more?
 
I can't help the feeling that a certain member on here, namely our lost prophet, will like the fourth photo best ... for some odd reason, totally unknown to me ;). Actually, Photo 4 is also the best from a technical point of view. Focus and exposure are just right.
 
love #2


but yeah #4 makes me smile, I can't think why :lol:
 
If I might make a suggestion...

Except for when you are shooting through cages, try popping your flash up for a fill light... even though a pop-up flash doesn't have the range to do a whole lot of good in most situations, it will almost always pop a nice little catch light in the critter's eyes. When shooting through cages, a pop-up flash can only work if you can get the light to not hit the cage (causing shadows) and obviously you need to have the camera lens up against the cage touching it if you are going to try to use a flash (otherwise you will simply light up the cage).

Even better would be to use a stand alone fill flash either shoe mounted or wirelessly, something with some more pop to it. It can really help in shaded shots like the last bird you have there.

Here is an example of fill light at the zoo under very similar circumstances (it was standing under a tree, inside a free flight cage) and I used a bounce flash with diffuser on it (I diffused it with a white post it note stuck to the top of my SB-600). It wasn't in as direct sunlight as yours was, but you can see where I am going with it.

duck.jpg


You know to focus on the eyes already, which is of course the key to shooting critters.
 
Last one is my favourite. Nice capture!

David

Cheers. :)

and a nice tight crop. Have you done any post-processing on it, to make the colours pop a bit more?

Thank you. I did a little cropping (not much as I try to compose on-camera). I also usually make a duplicate layer, adjust the curves to a bit of an S and then tone down the opacity so it still looks natural. Also added a little vinagretting (SP?) on the bird images.

Actually, Photo 4 is also the best from a technical point of view. Focus and exposure are just right.

Thanks - it took me a number of shots to get that right but I'm really pleased how it came out. Otters were tricky critters to catch.

but yeah #4 makes me smile, I can't think why :lol:

I have to say, I wondered if you'd see this thread. :thumbup:

If I might make a suggestion...

Thanks heaps, thats excellent advice and I'm amazed I never considered it in hindsight now as it makes perfect sense! Will keep that in mind for future shots for sure. Unforunatly the first two parrot shots are through cages, opened the apature wide to blur it, worked really well in shot 2 but is a little evident in #3. Def would have helped on a few shots though.
 
+ 1 Otter shot I found on the card. ;)

2250453636_7bcf4f60c9.jpg
 
and my Otter Powers are restored!!
cute little buggers
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom