Auto Chinon 50mm 1.7 vs. Super Takumar 55mm 1.8?

texasrexbobcat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay so I've decided to delve into the world of adapting older, manual lenses onto a Canon EOS body.

My question is; which of these lenses is better? On eBay they're both about the same price. The only differences in specifications is that the Chinon is a 50mm f/1.7 and the Takumar is a 55mm f/1.8.

Which has better image quality?
I'm leaning more towards the Takumar but I'm not sure.

I'd rather have a Takumar that has the A-M stop-down switch on it than an off-brand like the Chinon. What is the stop-down pin system on the back of the lens like on the Chinon? Is it the old-style, simple "pencil-lead" pin, or is the bigger, bulkier lever-style lens diaphragm actuator?

I'm not 100% sure on how most adapters can handle the larger, square-style stop-down actuator that some of the later M42 cameras adopted; it's been a long, ling time since the early 1970's, but I seem to recall that some of the later companies like Fujica and GAF and Chinon had some cameras that used the newer-style, square-ish stop-down actuation systems on the back of their M42 lenses...and I'm not sure how those might or might not interfere with the EOS-to-M42 lens adapter you have.

Maybe Compur or Mitica will see your post and be able to chip in....those guys know a boatload about older 35mm collectiblre lenses and cameras.

I collect Takumar's so I am biased.

There are several versions of the Takumar. For the latest Takumars with more modern coatings, make sure it indicates "SMC" or "Super-Multi-Coated" in the front ring.

As far as I know, all Takumars can be stopped down via a switch. For other M42 lenses, this is not the case (I have a sigma that I can't stop down). If the Chinon is a K-mount version, there is no need to worry as they are stopped down when unmounted.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back