Auto ISO

choudhrysaab

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
hey guys ... is setting the ISO to "auto" a good option or should it always be set at the lowest ISO possible? What I'm really trying to find out is that should one leave things on Auto e.g. ISO, White Balance etc or should those be changed manually every time pictures are taken.

Thanx ... Abi =)

I leave white balance on auto, I shoot RAW so I can always change it later if I need to.

ISO I usually leave on manual unless I'm bumming around and don't want to mess with it or miss a shot because I forgot to change it, etc.

Of all the things on a camera that can be set to Auto, ISO is the most potentially destructive to your images. Do not ever set ISO to auto.

High ISO (particularly on lots of cameras where Auto ISO is an obvious option) will tend to significantly increase noise and reduce color depth and saturation.

I shoot RAW too, but I usually set manually set both ISO and White Balance. I use a gray card I keep clipped to my camera strap when I change shooting locations and use that to set WB in ACR.

^ If I use Auto ISO I always set it to the max I'm comfortable with (3200 on the D90, for example).

I'm not sure if I would use it, or if I would like it, but - I wish Canon had auto ISO...

To me, it seems like they don't do it just to be different than Nikon...

I'm not sure if I would use it, or if I would like it, but - I wish Canon had auto ISO...

To me, it seems like they don't do it just to be different than Nikon...

i have Canon XSi and it has the setting for Auto ISO.

Really...?

I guess it's time for an upgrade... (350D)

hey guys ... is setting the ISO to "auto" a good option or should it always be set at the lowest ISO possible?
I think you, as the photographer, should choose what ISO you want to shoot at...not the camera.

I use Auti Iso sometimes, I still keep it as low as possible, for instance daytime i may have it set to 400 max evening maybe 800. I still keep an eve on it in the viewfinder and will lower it on a if i can get a second shot.

My understanding is that (for the least noise) ISO should be at it's native setting, which isn't alwyas the lowest.

I believe for Nikon that is 200, Canon is 100.

Personally, I only use 100 & 1600. Nothing in between...

I've never used it, I have no need for it.

My understanding is that (for the least noise) ISO should be at it's native setting, which isn't alwyas the lowest.

I believe for Nikon that is 200, Canon is 100.

Personally, I only use 100 & 1600. Nothing in between...

Varies per sensor. D200=100, D300=200 (for example)

How would one really go about figuring out the ISO for the right setting? I have a 50D and I shoot in RAW but always set white balance but leave the ISO up the cameras metering system

Most reactions

Back