Automatic Modes

Having learned photography on film cameras that didn't even have auto exposure at all, the very idea of scene modes is utterly bizarre to me. I'm sure they help some people who know little to nothing about photography and wouldn't get a usable shot with a manual camera, but I don't see why the rest of us would use them.

Personally; I think most people these days learn photography totally backwards. They start in Auto then scramble to learn manual.

My camera has an "enrage TPF" mode, right between Kids and Landscape. Needless to say, I have epoxied the dial to this setting.

While I think Derrel is correct that these settings probably choose better than 90% of newer shooters, at the same time, those shooters are never going to become more seasoned shooters if they never get any experience setting their own modes. My advice to a new dSLR owner would still be to avoid them, even if they might do a better job, because that person needs to go out and make mistakes now, so that he can shoot better than the scene modes can in a year or so.

I think the mistake a lot of people on TPF make is assuming that people want to become more seasoned shooters. It would be infuriating for most people to spend $700 on a new camera, only to find that it's much much more difficult to use than the iPhone they already have, and that until they learn a whole bunch of stupid technical rubbish, it's not going to take pictures remotely as nice as their iPhone does.

You're a nerd. I'm a nerd. We're all nerds. Not everyone is a nerd. Some people just want to take pictures.

I think the mistake a lot of people on TPF make is assuming that people want to become more seasoned shooters.

Well that is one of the primary focuses of the site itself ;)

I think the mistake a lot of people on TPF make is assuming that people want to become more seasoned shooters. It would be infuriating for most people to spend $700 on a new camera, only to find that it's much much more difficult to use than the iPhone they already have, and that until they learn a whole bunch of stupid technical rubbish, it's not going to take pictures remotely as nice as their iPhone does.

You're a nerd. I'm a nerd. We're all nerds. Not everyone is a nerd. Some people just want to take pictures.

Then why are they shelling out a lot more money for an SLR? If they are so uninterested in photography that they don't want to learn the "technical rubbish" the increase in image quality can't be significant to them. As you point out, one can take pretty good pictures with a phone.

Then why are they shelling out a lot more money for an SLR? If they are so uninterested in photography that they don't want to learn the "technical rubbish" the increase in image quality can't be significant to them. As you point out, one can take pretty good pictures with a phone.

Some people just want a better camera. Some want prestige and some want features that you can't get in compacts whilst still not needing to or wanting to invest more of their time. For them they want, say, the focus blurring effect - or the faster shutter (compact cameras have gotten a lot better in recent years - in the not too distant past though you had to be pretty skilled to get fast action shot with them because you'd easily have a second or so of shutter lag).

In the end different people buy the same thing for different reasons - heck look at all the people who buy big 4*4 cars and yet will never ever go offroad (heck many of them won't even let a touch of mud get on them). They are not lesser or greater than those who drive their cars like mad offroad - they are simply using the same tool for a different purpose

I could explain marketing, but there's not enough space here. Suffice it to say that the people on this forum and similar forums, and in fact people who are interested in photography as a technical pursuit, do not constitute either: everyone in the world; everyone Canikony would like to sell expensive cameras to,

While I think Derrel is correct that these settings probably choose better than 90% of newer shooters, at the same time, those shooters are never going to become more seasoned shooters if they never get any experience setting their own modes. My advice to a new dSLR owner would still be to avoid them, even if they might do a better job, because that person needs to go out and make mistakes now, so that he can shoot better than the scene modes can in a year or so.

Exactly. The scene modes may touch on some fancy in-depth parameter shuffling, but one thing nobody has mentioned yet is that if you're relatively up to speed with how the camera actually works, you probably shoot raw when you want ultimate control, thereby allowing you to make all those tweaks to your liking. Even if you're doing jpeg, if you apply some basic post processing fundamentals, your end result is going to be much closer to what you're after than a SOOC "scene mode" shot.

So, the question isn't really whether or not the scene modes have any use--of course they do, for folks who don't know how to set the camera up themselves and don't know how to process images. The question is, if you DO know how to set the camera up and DO know how to make your own after touches in post, why on God's green earth would you ever use a scene mode?

Automatic may work ok most of the time as far as picture quality but most of the time it sets aperture where I would not want it or pop up a flash when its not needed.I was using aperture for a while but now full manual so I can control the shutter speed and aperture.I would be very content with the mode only having shutter speed,Aperture Priority and manual mode.

My personal 'beef' with the scene modes is that they over-complicate what should be a simple task. If I adjust the settings myself, I know [approximately] what I'm going to get, but with a scene mode, I have to remember the parameters of each one and decide if it is really right for the given situation. I think they can be handy for people who are just learning, or just want to take 'okay' vacation shots, etc, but I question their value for those who want to take photographs vice snapshots.

I have to agree with Tired - once you actually know the basics of aperture, shutter speed and ISO the selection of which scene mode is quite baffling. I've stood there (when someone hands me a point and shoot) and been left bemused. Do I want portrait or hyper portrait mode - wait is this a close up maybe I want closer portrait mode - or maybe another mode might work better etc..

It's good for people who want the machine to tell them what to think and who are not pushing further and who, honestly, just want some good snapshots. For them its idea, perfect - for them it works wonders and I won't begrudge them the use of those modes. For myself and for many who understand even just the basics of photography; those auto modes can be darn confusing!

I have never shot a camera in any scene mode. I tried a few of the main modes when I first started out with a DSLR but all that resulted in was missing shots of wildlife while I was trying to center the exposure needle. I finally figured out that by going to manual I could set the aperture and shutter speed then let the camera select the ISO. That's what works for me.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back