Autumn Colors In The Smokys

Scott Whaley

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
...So, I drove over to the Smoky Mountains again this morning hoping to get some photos of the leaves. I got there early enough to shoot some sunrise photos and then got some nice photos of the leaves.

Leaves & Sunrise_9.jpg

Leaves & Sunrise_10.jpg

Leaves & Sunrise_8.jpg

Leaves & Sunrise_11.jpg

Leaves & Sunrise_13.jpg

Leaves & Sunrise_14.jpg

Leaves & Sunrise_12.jpg

Leaves & Sunrise_2.jpg

Leaves & Sunrise_5.jpg

Leaves & Sunrise_4.jpg

Leaves & Sunrise_3.jpg

Leaves & Sunrise_7.jpg

Last edited:
You have some serious issues in all of these with banding, striations and artifacts mostly visible in the skies. I'd assume as a result of somewhat harsh PP.

Some technical issues, agreed, but otherwise a nice set. Always such beautiful vistas in the Smokies.

Technical issues? Please explain.

Is this on the Foothills Pky?

The banding isn't noticeable until you blow up the image. Typically this happens when you push an underexposed image to much in post. There isn't sufficient file data to represent transitions. Image #6 EXIF shows an ISO 1000, F/11, 1/640, and luminosity is lacking data on either end.
download.png

You can open your aperture up on landscapes without any significant loss of sharpness because of the distance, slowing your shutter down and raising ISO can all give you a fully exposed file. I prefer Aperture priority mode and use Exp Comp button to control the bright highlights. In post rather than using global adjustments to exposure and shadows try targeted masks to make those adjustment.

Last edited:
I would rather under expose my shots than over expose them. The settings changed as the sun got higher in the sky. The only one I really didn't like was #1. I also resized all of the photos at once which may be why there is some banding. Thanks for the suggestions.

I would rather under expose my shots than over expose them. The settings changed as the sun got higher in the sky. The only one I really didn't like was #1. I also resized all of the photos at once which may be why there is some banding. Thanks for the suggestions.

last time i saw banding like this, it was a computer (slim laptop i was using for travel) that couldn't handle the file sizes. otherwise, check your export settings. brightening up underexposed images shouldn't cause banding like this unless there was a lot of other editing going on.

Nice set. I can see the banding that is being discussed, but it doesn't detract much from the beauty of the area.

These vantage points look familiar. As a North Carolinian I've taken many similar photos on trips to the Smokies.

The mountain photos were taken from the Foothills Parkway in Blount County. The lake photos were taken at Chilhowee lake on US 129 just before the Dragon.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back