I finally got to photograph an owl

Scott Whaley

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Well, I finally got to photograph an owl. I was driving through Cades Cove in the Great Smoky Mountains this morning looking for some bears. No luck on seeing any bears, but I did run into this fellow. The lighting was dark as he was deep in the forest with a lot of trees blocking the sunlight. Here are a few I got today.

Owl In Cades Cove (8 of 8).jpg

Owl In Cades Cove (7 of 8).jpg

Owl In Cades Cove (5 of 8).jpg

Owl In Cades Cove (4 of 8).jpg

Owl In Cades Cove (3 of 8).jpg

Owl In Cades Cove (2 of 8).jpg

Last edited:
He's a real beauty! Congrats on getting these in such challenging conditions. Looks like dense light in there. This must have been such a thrill. :)

Really nice and IMO the lighting works well for the subject, an owl is supposed to be in the dark ;)

Wow! Great pics!

Great shots and I envy you! The last time I saw an owl while there was light was probably 30 years ago.

You will always remember your first owl. These are nice shots. Congrats. I hope you had it all to yourself. When I got my first owl there were about 20 other people shooting it as well.

You will always remember your first owl. These are nice shots. Congrats. I hope you had it all to yourself. When I got my first owl there were about 20 other people shooting it as well.
No such luck. Cades Cove is one of the most popular areas of the Smoky Mountains. Lots of tourist there that day. I had a really good spot where I was photographing him when two little kids jumped on a rock in front of me scaring the owl off. I said to them, "Thanks a lot kids!"

• Sad
Reactions: PJM

Most reactions

New Topics

Back