AUTUMN DAZE

Irishwhistler

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Aye Mates,
I roved about the New England uplands today with me camera in hand whilst reflecting in an almost dreamlike state on the many days I hunted for ruffed grouse as a young lad. Old abandoned farms and orchards were often home to partridge and provided me with many seasons o' fine gunning with a 20 gauge pump gun I had purchased with money I earned on me newspaper delivery route.

Many fond recollections o' times spent with friends and dogs now gone. Bittersweet emotions find me in an autumn daze as I contemplate the decline I have witnessed in the ruffed grouse that were once plentiful in Connecticut, the drumming now largely silenced. . .

l5tubontq-o8smqzvj8u7w_thumb_a2d4_fotor-jpg.225497

Bittersweet Blues ~ The orange husks o' this American Bittersweet are complimented by a blue sky in the background. The crops o' the partridge I shot in me youth were often bulging with bittersweet.

rfpxljhnrbeicul7vtxzzg_thumb_a2c5_fotor-jpg.225498

Apple Cloud ~ Not a region in cyberspace, rather, an old apple tree and its last remaining fruit viewed against the billowing white clouds in an azure sky. T'is abandoned apple trees like this one with tangled vines o' bittersweet that I would often find grouse in when I was a young lad.

anaz-iirg6cg0pzsgpang_thumb_a2c3_fotor-jpg.225499

The Turning ~ Seemingly a whirling vortex o' golden leaves, this image captured is symbolic o' the rapidly changing canopy in the forest. The bright hues o' mid autumn are fading daily and the leaf cover is rapidly dropping. Those gunners chasing Old Ruff and Timberdoodles welcome this treetop thinning.

I venture to more northern latitudes now whence in pursuit o' grouse, often dependent on the kindness o' gunning mates that will share their coverts with me, but only after an oath is sworn to in keeping them a secret, a trust never to be broken.

As for me many haunts once hunted in Southern New England, I refrain from placing any pressure on them as THE KING is largely gone, but he's not forgotten.

Mike ☘️

Great photos and narrative! Funny, I was hearing grouse the other day. Don’t they drum just in the spring? Love the sound of “ the old tractor starting “.

Best time of the year

Most reactions

New Topics

Back