Autumn in New England

sleist

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I love this time of year! Didn't get my camera until November last year so I missed most of the good stuff. Just a few from the past couple of weekends. Peak is still a few weeks away. Comments are always welcome. (Sorry so many)

1022155519_6poqi-L.jpg

1022082612_jsgZS-L.jpg

1023496175_YT7v4-XL.jpg

1022110765_JRBAj-L.jpg

1023496925_tZZnE-L.jpg

1022176871_G9JWr-XL.jpg

I love your shots! To be honest, I like them all! The colors just make the images look really good. Great stuff! What equipments are you working with?

Beautiful! We usually have awesome fall colors here in KY, but with the drought everything is just turning brown and dying instead of turning colors. :(

Thanks for the comments!

I love your shots! To be honest, I like them all! The colors just make the images look really good. Great stuff! What equipments are you working with?

Nikon D90

1. Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR

2. Sigma 50mm f/1.4

3. Nikon 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 VR

4. Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 VR1

5. Sigma 50mm f/1.4

6. Sigma 50mm f/1.4

PP in Digikam and GIMP (Linux)

I can't wait to get out and get shooting this weekend. The foliage isn't really as bright as it usually is here but we haven't had much rain so that doesn't help matters. :)

Shooting a wedding on the 10th that is at a country club that overlooks a huge forest full of gorgeous maples, I am hoping the leaves are out by then!

Nice shots! Love the first one

Number 5 is the best of the set by a landslide, and #3 is not too shabby either. Thanks for sharing these.

I like all the photos. especially #1and #3. Thank you for sharing.

Very nice :)
I love photos you took. Well, what should I comment? nice shoot.
I like the first and the forth the most. The first is about leaf - I like the mixture of yellow and red in this photo...
I like the photo about fence on road also but it looks a little upset to me :)

Last edited:
Nice....... especially #3 and #5.

If the colors come true, your location at #3 will be beautiful in a couple of weeks, I like that composition a lot. I also like the fence and path in #5.

I like all of them and I'm waiting to have the same colors here to exercise :) .
One question regarding the last: I'm wondering about how it was illuminated. Foreground is clear and detailed, background is dark but with nice light dots... I like it.
I see from EXIF that it has been shot at F2, 1/200; no info on flash. Did you flash it?

Thanks.

i love fall here

Thanks everyone for all the comments. I'll try to answer a few of the questions posed by giving you my thoughts on these.

1. I like capturing leaves back-lit by the sun against a dark background of complimentary color. It's a recurring theme that I find easy to get pleasing results from. I sometimes wonder if the shots are too boring due to the relative lack of work I seem to need to put in. I posted this as a reality check of sorts.

2. I love the Sigma 50mm 1.4, but on a crop sensor you are dealing with a FoV more like a 75mm. I find I struggle with the composition at times for this reason and would like to get a wider lens with similar optical characteristics (bokeh mainly). I have been considering either the Sigma 30mm 1.4 or trying the Nikkor 35 or 24 f/1.4. Not looking forward to selling a kidney to get one of these so maybe I'll try the Sigma first. ;) I feel this shot falls short on composition, but I worked a lot in post to get the apples to look right and coloring seem nice - on my monitor anyway.

3. I'm a little bit disappointed in this to be honest. I took MANY shots with different lenses. Experimented with matrix, spot, and center weight metering. Tried a variety of apertures and focal points. This was the best of the bunch and required a bit of curve adjustments, sharpening, straightening, and local contrast adjustments. I think the composition is spot on. I just think I needed the 70-200mm f/2.8 to really nail it. This would have allowed me to use my CPL as well (I only have 77mm filters at the moment). I'm going back when the colors peak to try again.

4. Meh. I wanted this to be more. Not sure how to match the picture in my head.

5. This shot surprised me a bit and I needed to work a bit in post to get it to this point. I knew what I wanted and again took a variety of shots from different angles. I accidentally left the aperture at 1.4 for this and was surprised this was the best of the bunch. I think I cropped too tight on the top so I will likely revisit in post to fine tune.

6. Another cramped composition with the 50mm. My back was literally against the wall and I wanted the lights in the background. I had to do a lot of work with the RAW image to the get the lighting right and retain the detail on the beige pumpkins and crate in the foreground. I wish I could have captured more on the right side.

I always see something wrong with my shots, as nothing ever matches exactly what I see in my minds eye. Thanks again for all your time and comments.

Steve

Most reactions

Back