b&w and filters

lablover47

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
I'm new to this site and haven't figured out if I've got it figured out. I hope this gets through. Anyway, I'm interested in getting more into b&w photography and wondered what kinds of basic filters I should use. There's lots of conflicting information out there. Thanks!

lablover47 said:
I'm new to this site and haven't figured out if I've got it figured out. I hope this gets through. Anyway, I'm interested in getting more into b&w photography and wondered what kinds of basic filters I should use. There's lots of conflicting information out there. Thanks!

Your basic BW filters are: red, yellow/orange, green (for increasing contrast or enhancing one or another shade of gray), polarizer (for eliminating reflective surfaces). You can also combine them for interesting effects. For ex. a red and a polarizer render the sky black (in the middle of the day) if it's properly set.

Remember, the color of the filter will transform that particular color into a lighter gray than when not using a filter. A green tree will have medium to darker tones of gray (foliage) but they will turn lighter with a green filter.

And a final note, I know there are many adepts in regards to keeping a Sky filter over the lens at all times. It's a good idea, can save you $$ if you have a mishap with the lens. On the other hand though I prefer to take the Sky filter off when shooting, I don't consider it necessary to add more dispersion. I use only the filters that I really need for any given picture.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back