Equipment ideas

RSprinkel

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi All,

I am looking for some ideas on some equipment to shoot portraits. Your comments on the below are VERY much important.

Softliter or Softbox? Good place to purchase?
Strobe's ie Alien Bee's or another brand? Good Place to purchase?
Backdrops - Colors? Good place to purchase?
Flash/Exposure Meter? Good Place to purchase?

Also non-portrait stuff...

Flash for Canon Rebel GII? Good Place to purchase?
Flash for K1000? Good Place to purchase?

Again, Thank You very much for any/all comments or suggestions.

Ron

I'd say B&H for most of that stuff.

You can make your own backdrops with a little creativity and some sheets or fabric. Softboxes can be made also. It just takes a little gumption and determination. Imagination never hurt either. Save yourself money where you can

i would go with a softbox and a couple of slave flashes with umbrellas if you want to maximize your system (or similar self-made). we got ours on ebay (the whole kit) for about $300 ... keeping in mind that the light temperture has to be on point (if you "do-it-yourself and your not experienced with this, i would just buy it or else it would show in the photo that its "home-made"). i think a good supplier on ebay would most likely be cheaper than b&h

for the backdrop, you can go with a bedsheet if you like but you would want to keep it wrinkle-free (which is pretty tough to do if you fold it away every time) ... i would invest in the Savage paper roll from B&H for about $39 (we have 3) ... i would definatly get a white, perhaps a grey or black and "wild" color for fun (something like blue, yellow, red, hot-pink/fuschia :D ... i think the paper rolls are good because their nice and "clean" ... gives you great results ... one thing about using the sheets, if its too thin, the wall will come through onto your portrait

but then again, you dont always have to use backdrops for portrait shots either :D

Most reactions

Back