B/W circle theme.......

jajomo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So I only got is far as my yard today ...no one wanted to walk with me..and decided to try my first Black and White shots...up to this point any black and whites I have done were from a color original. As always any all input welcome.

blackandwhite031.jpg

blackandwhite044.jpg

blackandwhite090.jpg

blackandwhite097.jpg

#1 stands out to me. I really like it. few things... watch the harsh lighting. very shallow DOF for F4.7.

#2 could maybe benefit from a tighter crop. take some dead space away from both the top and bottom.

#3 is just not a good B&W.

#4 has subject running off frame and that kills the center effect of the photo.

p!nK

#1, it looks like you're thinkin'. :thumbup: Zigzaggy leading line. It just doesn't deliver, though. I wonder if a portrait crop would help it at all?
#2 is pretty nice to my eyes. I'd crop the bottom off at the bottom of the brick(?).
#3 is my favorite. Intended or not, the story I got from this is that someone was out looking for a missing person at night, with a flashlight, and they stumbled upon their bike...It's rather dramatic.

Detail in the shadows, this is too bright, this is *too* dark...blah blah blah..:meh:

DRAMA!:thumbup:

#4...well...no comment.

Number 4 is the best one, in my opinion. It's the most interesting and I actually just generally like it.

I think number 3 could be cool if the back tire wasn't *so* dark... I know you don't want it to be as light as the front one because you want the photograph to have dimension, but I feel like either the front one is *too* bright, or the back one is *too* dark...

Those are just my thoughts though. I could be *totally* off. :)
Thanks for the input.

#1 stands out to me. I really like it. few things... watch the harsh lighting. very shallow DOF for F4.7. This isn't the original angle I took it at...I rotated it around. Would that change the DoF?

#2 could maybe benefit from a tighter crop. take some dead space away from both the top and bottom. When I tried to crop tighter it looks like a pumpkin from outer space...:lol:

#3 is just not a good B&W.

#4 has subject running off frame and that kills the center effect of the photo. I rotated this in PP. It was boring and lacked some thing.
Guess rotating it made it worse.

p!nK

#1, it looks like you're thinkin'. :thumbup: Zigzaggy leading line. It just doesn't deliver, though. I wonder if a portrait crop would help it at all? I think portrait is what I originally took it as..I'll check.
#2 is pretty nice to my eyes. I'd crop the bottom off at the bottom of the brick(?). They are shingles...its our shed. Would you crop them completely out?
#3 is my favorite. Intended or not, the story I got from this is that someone was out looking for a missing person at night, with a flashlight, and they stumbled upon their bike...It's rather dramatic.

Detail in the shadows, this is too bright, this is *too* dark...blah blah blah..:meh:

DRAMA!:thumbup: Thank you it is my favorite too..but what the hell do I know. :lmao:

#4...well...no comment.

Thank you both for your detailed suggestions and thoughts. I appreciate the time you gave my photos.

Last edited:
#2 cropped,
I just *think* it has a little nicer balance.
blackandwhite0441.jpg

I am not saying that suddenly this is fantastic. But, I like the weight of the *subject* at the bottom, how the angled lines converge in the center of the *ring*, and now that same line pattern is repeated in the *background*. So after looking at your original, I looked at what little interesting thing was there, and tried to improve upon the image with that in mind. This is pretty subjective, and this is just my opinion or interpretation of what *I* see.

blackandwhite0311.jpg

#2 cropped,
I just *think* it has a little nicer balance.
blackandwhite0441.jpg

I am not saying that suddenly this is fantastic. But, I like the weight of the *subject* at the bottom, how the angled lines converge in the center of the *ring*, and now that same line pattern is repeated in the *background*. So after looking at your original, I looked at what little interesting thing was there, and tried to improve upon the image with that in mind. This is pretty subjective, and this is just my opinion or interpretation of what *I* see.

blackandwhite0311.jpg

Yes I like them both way better. I couldn't get that "whirly bird" to not look like a pumpkin when I tried to crop.

I understand that these are not special or great photos in general...but I am trying to get out side my comfort zone...of family and kids sports..;).

Thanks for the edits..that was very nice of you.

Most reactions

Back